3 Year contract vs unlocked iPhone 4S for $650?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waloshin, Oct 9, 2011.

?

Contract vs Unocked

1. 3 Year contract at $159

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Unlocked for $650

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Does it make more sense fanatically to buy a unlocked iPhone 4S for $650 or buy it on a 3 Year contract for $159.

Do you think Telus would offer an incentive if I change over to them?

2. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

If I was going to stay with the same provider in the U.S. and not travel internationally, with no intention of upgrading in 2 years, then I would choose the contract phone. The rates are the same for Verison, T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T whether I have a contract phone or not (if I'm wrong, please post the info), so it makes sense to buy a contract phone if all those circumstances apply.

3. rudolf macrumors member

I thought all the contracts were for 24 months. Who is offering you a 3-year contract?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you noticed the carrier Telus in his OP, that's a Canadian carrier, and Canada is the only country in the world that does 3 year contracts. I hate it that's what I buy my phones outright :)

5. AVonGauss macrumors regular

T-Mobile still has the subsidized vs unsubsidized rates (classic vs value) for the moment. It equates to roughly $20 less per month for the unsubsidized.

6. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

In almost every country except Canada, the contracts are 24 months.. Canada is 3-years. Never understood that.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I'm with Fido in Canada and went with the unlocked option for 650... Though that has a lot to do with the fact that I am not eligible for an upgrade :D.

8. kimlo macrumors member

WOW! Three year contract and you still have to pay upfront... **** that.

I would definitely go with the $650 option.

In Australia almost all contracts are two years(some one year) with no upfront cost and you can get it unlocked anytime for free to use if you travel or just want to sell the phone.

I guess we have it good here, from Apple(which is unlocked, no contract) it's $799, $899 and $999.

9. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

Now that it's only $650 unlocked - it's no brainer... Unlocked version allows people with unlimited grandfathered plans to keep them, besides, now you can have iPhone without paying for a data plan on AT&T :rolleyes: and just pay as you go $2/Mb