3 year iphone plan...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom Foolery, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

At first I was going to wait for a new phone company to come in and take the iphone from rogers. now that i realize that this is going to be at least a year for the new companies to even set up a network that might not even include data I'm seriously considering signing my life away for 3 years.

I also didn't want the plan because it was capped at 6 GB but now i realize that it is very hard to use this much data on an iphone.

another thing holding me back is the cost. with all the B.S. fees it's going to cost at least $70 a month.

so finally should i buy the iphone. my biggest concern is that next july apple will release a new iphone, then the year after the they will release another even better on and i will still be stuck with my old one and still a year left to go.

so is it worth it?

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Apple will almost definitely release newer models within the next 3 years. If you can live with the thought of an 'older gen' iPhone for a year or two, and don't mind the monthly fee, get it.

EDIT: Me personally, I wouldn't get a tied up iPhone. I got mine off e-bay ages ago and it's going strong.

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

3 years seems excessive to me. So I guess I would say the answer to your question is yes, 3 years is too long.

4. terrylee macrumors newbie

terrylee

5. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I can't imagine using the same phone for three years, but I'm the type who always wants to upgrade. :p With Verizon's "new every two" I was always chomping at the bit by the time my early upgrade rolled around at 20 months.

If you're not that type, go for it.

6. cake90036 macrumors regular

Im sure that if you brought your phone in within a year or so they'll have a new one by iphone out by then and they wouldn't be carrying any refurbished models to give you, so maybe you may get a newer model of the iphone.

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

3 years is too long to be in any kind of contract with a service provider.
    actually IMO 2 years is too long, but i went for that plunge.

tech changes alot in a mere 3 years time.