3+ Year Old MacBook Pro, Dead Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blenderman345, Apr 11, 2011.

1. blenderman345 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I haven't been out here in a while, but I have some MBP woes that few other forums would probably sit through. :)
    Anyhow, here's the deal. I have a 2007 MBP 17" that [when tested at both a AASRP and the Apple Store] comes completely perfectly clean, even that the display casing is cracked from an earlier accident..... sorry, started bloating about the endurance of Apple's, won't happen again. :D
    Anyhow, I have a problem. The problem lies with the power adapter, which is my 3rd adapter. So this is my 3rd adapter, for which I have already spent $80 on one of them, [it failed in a few weeks or month and was replaced free by Apple], and so if I get a new one, it will be my 4th adapter. So here's the deal: I don't want to drop another $80 greens on another power adapter. It's just not happening. I see a few third party adapters on eBay, some which have 1-year to 3-year warranties. I'd much rather go through with that, because even though the guy at the Apple Store claimed that 3rd party adapters would last only around 6 months, and the genuine Apple adapters would last at least a year [already proven wrong above], it does have a 1-3 year warranty, right?
    Any thoughts?
    What would you do in this situation? [Remember: This isn't like a brand new machine or anything. It's a navy officer who's had a rough job and after a while is thinking about retiring]

2. Derango macrumors regular

The power adapter should be warranted for a year from the date of purchase.

If it busted within the year, go get a replacement...otherwise they don't owe you anything sad to say.