3 Year Old Macbook to an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theapplefreak, Aug 11, 2009.

  1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #1
    I currently have the 1st generation Macbook, which is the 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo model. I upgraded my macbook to the max with 2GB of RAM as well as 320 GB Hard Drive. What I'm doing is heavy photoshopping as well as full HD video editing, so obviously it lags big time.
    Since it's more than three years old, I decided to get a new mac, but I need some power. I'm looking into the iMac, but I'm hearing rumors about some major updates. I need a new mac now, because it's crapping out on me, but I want to wait for the major updates.
    Any suggestions? Should I wait? When do you think it'll be out?

    Also, what kind of model do you think is perfect for what I do? 3 GHz?

    Thanks.
     
  2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #2
    ...what isn't working on your current machine?

    Try repairing permissions and/or reinstalling the OS and see if that helps out...
     
  3. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #3
    Its not that my computer isn't working. It doesn't have the power for my needs. Like I said, I use photoshop (graphic designing) as well as full HD editing, which lags my computer a lot. Its from back in June 2006 (2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, not Intel Core 2 Duo)
     
  4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #4
    If you can wait, then wait.

    If you can't wait, then buy.

    You must decide if you want to wait or not.

    That does next to nothing, beside give help that doesn't help the OP.
     
  5. Knoxville3G macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #5
    I'd say if you can wait a 1-1.5 months, wait and see what Apple announces in their typical fall event that announces new models, new ipods, etc. I'd be willing to bet there's a MAJOR iMac refresh this fall. My vote is wait if you can. If you REALLY need a top performer now, go for a MacBook Pro no doubt. Of course the difference in cost of iMac vs MBP could be prohibitive. Good luck! :)
     
  6. chan2004 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    India, currently Zurich,Switzerland
    #6
    wait for snow leopard to release and then buy

    As your machine is already not performing to your needs, there is no point in waiting for more than that
     
  7. javflor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    Location:
    Denton, TX
    #7
    Deja Vu

    You're at the same decision point I was several months ago. I decided to wait on the new MBP but did decide on getting a Mac mini to tide me over. I'm really waiting to get a new MBP that has a Blu-Ray drive (or whatever technology finally makes Jobs happy).

    I'm very happy with the mini. It can run CS4 and I already had a USB full keyboard and mouse for my MBP. The mini is already functioning as a server for my older MBP; it has 4 external hard drives attached to it. I hooked it up to my 32-inch HDTV's VGA PC port as the monitor and the image is fantastic. This, of course, won't help if what you need is a system you can use onsite but I do preliminary work onsite and final editing at home.

    After I purchase a new MBP, the mini will continue to serve as a hub for my external drives, freeing my MBP from having to be burdened with all those cables. I've already used the Back to My Mac function of Mobile Me to send and retrieve files from the mini at home while I worked onsite with my older MBP.
     
  8. OmiKnight52 macrumors member

    OmiKnight52

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    #8
    What version of photoshop and which app are u using for Video editing? I agree with chan2004 that you should wait and see if snow leopard can boost your macbooks performance
     
  9. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #9
    When I get a new mac, I'm going to use Final Cut for video editing and for photoshop, I'm using CS4.
     
  10. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #10
    I'm reminded of the scene from The Good The Bad and The Ugly (or one of that trilogy): "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

    To the OP: If they update it with something you really, really wanted and you're crushed by your decision to buy now, you can always sell the "old" iMac and buy a new one. You can think of the price difference as the cost of "renting" the current-gen iMac for a few months.
     

Share This Page