Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well, the warranty on my three year old MBP is drying up in about a month. I plan to get a new/larger hard drive than the existing one in the laptop. I am looking for suggestions on brand/model/size and speed for a very reliable and fast internal drive. My existing drive is a 200Gb Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00.

Thank you in advance.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

From the reviews I have read I would go with a western digital scorpio...either blue or black depending if you want 7200rpm or 5400rpm

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yep, the WD Black line is quite amazing, or if the absolute fastest isn't your concern, the Blue line will save you a bit and let you get larger drives. I have a WD Blue 500GB in my MacBook, and it works quite well (although I'm filling it up and have to manage my stuff to keep 40-50GB's free most of the time).

You could easily put a 640GB in that if you want size, or if you want speed, I'd go for the 500GB Black.

Alternatively, of course, you can look into an SSD. More expensive by a good bit, but really quick. Since you asked for reliable and fast, that'd be worth looking into. OWC is a good place to start looking.

jW

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
SSDs will give you the ultimate in speed, but the price of a 500GB SSD is still outrageous and as much as I love my SSD, there is no way in heck I would shell out $600+ for it.

Samsung also makes a few hard drives that people on this forum absolutely love.

But of course, you can NEVER go wrong with the WD Black...Amazing HDD
The Reviews Don't Lie :)

The WD Black industry standard for high speed, high end notebook magnetic hard drives, and you can have it to your door and installed for under $85. Since it is 7200, you may find it to make more noise than your current as IIRC, the one you have is 4200 (not positive). You will see an incredible difference though and honestly, even at 7200, the battery life difference does not seem to be a major difference in the Blue or Black line. The WD Black has become a favorite with one of the groups I work for and they have become so happy with it that it is now the only hard drive they use on their systems.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Seagate Momentus XT 500. This is a hybrid drive with 4GB of flash and 7200rpm "normal". I´ve just put it in my MBP 2 weeks ago and I´m very happy with it. Apps launch very fast. Final Cut in 5 seconds!!

I had a WD Blue 640Gb and it never worked well with my MBP. I had to run a hack from stopping it spinning up and down, and this hack made it spin all the time instead.

I´ve noticed no more vibration or noise with my Seagate drive. Battery seems even same or even better

cburton04

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Seagate Momentus XT 500. This is a hybrid drive with 4GB of flash and 7200rpm "normal". I´ve just put it in my MBP 2 weeks ago and I´m very happy with it. Apps launch very fast. Final Cut in 5 seconds!!

I had a WD Blue 640Gb and it never worked well with my MBP. I had to run a hack from stopping it spinning up and down, and this hack made it spin all the time instead.

I´ve noticed no more vibration or noise with my Seagate drive. Battery seems even same or even better

I second this vote. I just installed one in my 2007 MBP replacing the original 120gig drive. Huge improvement in speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.