3 year student warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSarah, Nov 12, 2008.

1. iSarah macrumors newbie

ok well i recently bought the new macbook with my student discount, i chose not to buy applecare but i've heard that there's a 3 years parts and labour warranty.

my question is, if i had to take my laptop in to be repaired after the normal 1 year warranty, how would i prove that i'm eligible for the 3 years parts and labour? is there anywhere i can register my laptop?

thanks
    :)

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Applecare extends the original 1-year warranty by 2 years, making it a total of 3 years. There is no de-facto 3 year warranty, only the normal 1 year variety. You must buy Applecare for the extension.

Normal price for Apple Care for MacBook is $249. Student price is $183.

You can register you product here:
    https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GlobaliReg.woa

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK based solely on how we might differ on the spelling of labor/labour (and since you don't show your location I have to guess), I'm going to boldly guess that you are in the UK! :) The only reason I bring that up is that I do recall a UK resident mentioning that extension for students in a previous thread I believe.

If my guess is right, check out this site I just googled for which is on the Apple UK site- it has some good info on what they call the "Higher Education National Contract" on which they mention special student warranty- with a phone number and email address for questions that you might use to clarify: Apple's HENC page. Assuming that the student warrant IS automatically extended, that should provide you with further information as to how it might be registered there.

I should say that if you not in the UK, sorry for the profiling- and disregard this post! :D

4. iSarah thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, yes i am from the UK!

thanks for that, i'll take a look :)

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

In the UK you do indeed get a 3 year "AppleCare Base Warranty" - but only if you bought it with Higher Education discount, not the regular education discount. If so, you should get an email from Apple confirming the extended warranty coverage and that's your proof. It can take a couple of months to arrive though.

6. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I remember reading up on this a while back. From what I can gather from google searches leading to forum threads on the situation, for in the UK at least, the normal 1 yr apple warranty is extended to 3 yrs only if you bought your setup on the online HE store,I emphasize online here.

What it seems to cover is exactly as you described; parts and labour warranty. What you don't get is Applecare telephone support after the 1st year is up.

I think the best thing you could do now is give apple a ring and get their info on the matter.
    Just note that I can't quote the date on the threads I read, so Apple may have changed its policies since.

By the way, if you're not entirely comfortable without the 'complete' applecare, I got mines off eBay for £87 from a US seller (for MacBook). I phone up apple after and it all went through ok, even though my MacBook is registered to a UK address.

b.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

On-line or by telephone with HE discount. If you buy instore at an Apple Store you only get 12 months but can buy AppleCare for around £58 if purchased at the same time (and not afterwards...)

8. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Well from what I read there was no mention of by phone. How could you prove you are a student over the phone though? As the HE store is only available when you access it from your university network, it's taken as a given that you are a student or academic etc.
    I think the Applecare for £58 is only when you buy instore, in person with your student ID, and its only offered at £58 if you buy it on the spot with your set-up.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

HE discount over the phone works fine - they do random checks.

The AppleCare at £58 is for instore HE purchases only - my sentence does start "If you buy instore at the AppleStore...."

So if you want a 3 year warranty buy HE online or on the phone....

If you want 3 years AppleCare then buy HE instore and buy it at the same time....

10. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I was agreeing with you. I should've written is instead of is ;)