3 Year Waranty vs Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ag55, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ag55 macrumors regular

With higher education purchases you get a free 3 year warranty instead of the normal 90 day telephone support.

Whats the difference between this and Applecare.
    I can upgrade from this to Applecare for less than £50.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That is (or should be) AppleCare with a free extension. Are you sure you can "upgrade" to AppleCare, or is that just the price difference?

As I'm not in the UK, I can't know for sure.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's the same. Can't find it at the moment, but there's a thread where someone chatted with an Apple person about this issue.

4. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Err I believe, with the Applecare... you get 2 years and 9 months of extra telephone support on top of the complimenatry 90 day telephone support.

In a nutshell, you end up with 3 years warranty plus phone support for £40 something pounds...on HE discount.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I seem to recall being told that if you choose the HE thing, you have to take the mac back to your school for service.

6. Machinima macrumors newbie

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Don't rely on that "EU 2 year guarantee" stuff. It's extremely misunderstood and continually misrepresented as a result. What it actually covers is the condition of the product AT THE TIME YOU BOUGHT IT. The 2 years is the time frame you have to file a claim saying there was a defect when you bought it. If you file your claim within 6 months of the purchase, then the EU law says it's assumed that the defect existed at the time of purchase, but if you file later than that, then YOU HAVE TO PROVE that the defect was there at the time of purchase which is something that's going to be all but impossible for most consumers to prove.

8. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

I researched it a little, looks like the papers messed up. And other papers just copied the story without doing any research.

I also found out my answer myself. The 3 yr warranty involves phone support and if your item breaks down apple will fix it, assuming you pay the shipping costs. Applecare will eliminate all costs and give you a priority i believe.

9. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I'm glad to hear that. I thought you'd have to be insane to sell anything in England or Wales with a 6 yr guarantee...especially on electronic stuff.