3 year warranty almost up-how to extend?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by now-what?, Jun 22, 2012.

1. now-what? macrumors newbie

The 3 year Apple Care warranty for my 2009 imac will expire in Sept.
    My LCD screen just went crazy yesterday, showing all kinds of colored bands.
    Apple will replace it under the warranty but now I'd like to find a third party
    service that can extend my almost expired one.
    Anyone know of a reputable service that can extend the Apple Care 3 year warranty?

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Get it fixed .... sell it and buy a new one with new Apple Care.

Honestly that is how I do it.

I get a new one every 30 - 36 months.

Six months before the Apple Care expires ( 30 months ) I put it up for sale. Having 6 months of Apple Care left helps the selling price.

You have a couple of months left, get it fixed and sell it while it still has some warranty left.

I am just not big on those after market extended warranties unless bought at time of purchase.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You cannot extend an AppleCare warranty, however if you have an open issue that will be resolved even if the warranty has expired. I'm not sure if you were aware of that or not. Also if you have had any other issues Apple will replace the machine (yes with a current model) after the 3rd repair. This may play into your favor too but I don't know what your situation has been.

4. LaCobra macrumors newbie

whoa. I have no idea you cannot extend warranty.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You can. AppleCare extends the warranty from 12 months to 3 years from date of purchase. You can't extend beyond that though.

6. LaCobra macrumors newbie

thats what I meant to say. :)