3 year warranty w/ education discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maldoror, Apr 18, 2009.

1. maldoror macrumors regular

i think i remember reading about a 3 year warranty you can get if you're a student. it's different from the careplan. has anyone heard of this? what is it and how do you get it?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan with your student discount, which will extend the warranty to three years of support. Many educational institutions also recommend insurance policies, such as Safeware, which will cover your computer from accidental damage and theft, which AppleCare does not.

3. DJ567 macrumors regular

when i bought a black macbook on student discount i got the 3 year standard apple care plan for about £40 usual price £200, its the same warranty just cheaper

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

where do you live? In the UK there's the HE (higher education) discount that comes with a 3 year limited warranty (a bit different than the standard applecare) for students......that's only in the UK though

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Everyone apart from the person above me is wrong

1) You get 3 years warranty with any Educational establishment discount, its the same as Applecare, just not called Applecare

2) It also depends where you live, US and UK however both get this.

"10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products shall be subject to a 36 calendar month
    warranty period commencing from the date of purchase (the date of your invoice)."

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

No it is not the same, you do not get full phone support for the three years also can only be brought through your university or online HE store. The one you buy in the store is the regular apple acre but at a very discounted price.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the HE discount that includes the 3 year warranty is for the UK and not available in the USA

8. DJ567 macrumors regular

I do not appreciate being told I am wrong when. When I explained EXACTLY what happened in my case. They picked the warranty right off the shelf in the apple store just like anyone else would buy and as I said it was significantly cheaper.

correct.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't have that here in the US of A

10. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Seems like that's how they handle it in North Korea though,... ;)