3 year warranty with a HE Mac, for free!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marold280, Oct 17, 2009.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

I've recently just ohoned up and bought a macbook pro.
    when the woman was offering me things like the free printer etc.
    she then came to applecare, and I heard over the past few years that the extended warranty came free if you are a student (just not the phone service).
    So i decided what i would be getting by paying an extra reduced price of £40.
    She said tha it was just the phone support. she also confirmed that i was getting the extra 2 years for free.
    I'm not certain on this yet, but will check when it arrives monday. ( YAY!!)

Does anyone else know whether you do get the extended warranty for free just for being a HE student?
    Thanks!

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Hi,

Yes, as a HE Student, you are entitled to the complimentary contract extension, but you are correct, it includes everything, but you only get 1yr of Phone support if my memory serves me correctly.

3. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Dang! They should advertise this more! I wouldn't have gone refurbished, I would have just bought with the student discount if I knew I'd be saving the $200 on Applecare!

4. sab150 macrumors regular

does the 3year warranty apply to the cinema display aswell?

i bought macbook pro, cinema display and time capsule plus afew other bits on higher education discount and bought apple care for around £50 to cover the macbook pro and cinema display for 3years

they did not make it clear that i would not need this as it is already covered!

5. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

wow that is great ! Thank god i have a brother at Uni.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I think the 3-year warranty is only standard with HE discount in the UK, maybe some other markets. Unless things have changed, in the US and Canada we don't get AppleCare for free if we buy from the HE store. :/

7. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Aww that might be why.

That sucks for us though!

8. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

aw man. that is stupid for you guys ! at least you dont get stupid taxes and almost everything is cheaper :rolleyes:

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

We only get it here in the UK, because brits are v.good convincers :) There was a contract between apple and the HE Institutions, that they can only sell at the discount if they give the warranty for free.