3 years warranty as standard on a HE purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Quocy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Quocy macrumors member

i am slightly confused at the moment, i've been reading several threads and some have stated that if i buy a mac from the HE store than i get a 3 year warranty on my mac as standard? also if do choose to buy the applecare extended warranty from the HE store than i only be getting extended telephone support and international cover?

can you help confirm these points for me please.
    thanks in advance :apple:

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

That sounds about right, but remember the HE warranty is parts and labour only - you'll be responsible for getting the computer to Apple and back again, if I'm reading it correctly.

I don't see any reason to spend money on AppleCare if you are buying from the HE store, unless you are desperate for that phone support.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Correct - that's the way it reads but I don't think Apple have read it - they certainly cover the cost of returning it and several people have mentioned that returning Mac's during the 2nd and 3rd years of the HE warranty has not incurred any transport costs. Probably most users are near enough an AppleStore now so possibly less of an issue.

The only real advantage in purchasing AppleCare (apart from the extended telephone support !!) is if you sell the Mac after a couple of years then it will certainly increase your chances of getting a good price. Buyers know what AppleCare is - HE 3 year warranty just does not sound the same in the advert....

4. hamesh macrumors newbie

can I get this warranty from an apple retail store if I take my university ID? i read somewhere that you can get the HE discount but you don't get the 3 years parts and labour warranty.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

No-one seems too sure - conflicting answers.

If you use HE instore they will almost certainly offer 3 years AppleCare for the bargain price of £58.

It may well be that the 3 year base HE warranty is only for purchases by phone or on-line but it seems odd if it is !

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Before anyone gets too excited, purchases from the Apple Store for Education (United States) includes the standard 1-year limited warranty only.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You mean that this is not a UK forum :rolleyes:

8. hamesh macrumors newbie

sorry should have stated i'm from the UK. also what's better for uni a laptop or desktop? i'm thinking of getting an imac. should also point out im going to be at uni for 5 years.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Go for one of the new MacBooks (not released yet !) and the Back to School promotion (free iPod) which should start in the next 10 days or so.

Depends a bit on what you are studying but there are a lot of MacBooks at your local University.

10. CBear macrumors newbie

Can i ask what makes you think the BTS promo will be commencing in 10 days ? i'm interested purely because i'll be purchasing between that time.

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Last year the BTS promo ran from 12 September to 30 October 2007 (inclusive).

This year's promo should be similar dates.

12. CBear macrumors newbie