3 yr education warranty - available in store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PVisitors, Apr 3, 2012.

1. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to buy a Macbook Air/Pro with the education discount as my laptop is currently on its last legs.

However, I'm not exactly a huge fan of ordering online, but I know with the Higher Education discount online you can get the 3 year warranty included for free (basically Applecare w/o the phone support). Is it possible to get the same education discount level in store plus the 3 year warranty?

Or is the 3 year warranty online only?

2. lc25 macrumors 6502

My advice would be to go in store and talk to someone, they can be very accommodating sometimes. You will never get if you never ask has always been my moto.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The 3 year HE warranty is for on-line or phone orders only - it has never been available in-store.

What usually happens in-store is you get the same HE discount and then they try to sell you Applecare at a very discounted price - used to be £49 plus VAT from memory......

4. danderton macrumors member

I recently brought a iMac using the education discount. I thought it would be a great idea to pop to my nearest store and have it there and then. Unfortunately the couldn't offer the same discount on the iMac or Apple care so went back to Uni and ordered it there and then

I was surprised and kinda expected the price to be the same like the rest of the products they sell

5. jcb10 macrumors regular

My memory must be faulty, then. I bought a MacBook in 2008 at the Burlingame Apple Store and got both the education price for the MacBook and the HE price for the Apple Care.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Things are different in the USA - in the UK there is a 3 year HE warranty as standard on phone and online orders.

I think PVisitors is in the UK......

7. JonLa macrumors 6502

In the UK it's normally available if you purchase the 50 quid Applecare at the same time, and they will match the HE discount for the computer - we did it last year for a 2011 Air. If you don't buy the Applecare then in-store it's only a 1 year warranty. Online, using your University's site (get on campus, use the Education Store, choose HE, then your insitution), you'll get the three years and the Applecare for 50 basically adds phone support.

8. PVisitors thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah cheers guys. A bit of a shame about it not being in store as it's a bit more hassle considering couriers are so volatile when delivering to my halls. Worth it though for a free 3 year warranty though.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You can get EDU discounts on AppleCare in-store in the US. Where are you from?

10. jcb10 macrumors regular

Ah, sorry. Didn't notice the poster I responded to was in Scotland.

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No it's not in store. I made a full guide here- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Money off is available in store, but UK students also get a free warranty if they buy online/phone only.