Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayotherocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
So i was actually researching about the proper way of charging my iPhone. And most of the people from forums are saying that they'll start charging their phones at 30-40% point until it reaches 80 and then unplug it. I'm not sure if it's the right way but I'm planning to do the same. I just want to ask if anyone could explain why they do that and will it be okay if I do that too? Should I stop at 80% or it'll be fine if I top it up up to 100%? I'm really confused. I just dont want to brick my battery again.

P.S. I JUST HAD MY IPHONE 5 battery replaced sinced I murdered it too soon because apparently my charging habit is wrong by draining it to zero and then fully recharging it again.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I would think a charging regimen like that minimizes battery heat, which is always good for battery health. However will it make a material difference in longevity?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Charging between those percentages is the quickest charge phase in the battery so it makes sense a lot of people would be doing it. But in all honesty it won't have any effect on the battery providing you do a full charge cycle every once in a while.

If your going to leave your phone stored for long periods of time then 30-40 percent is a good place to leave it. Should never leave it at 100% for months on end unused but let's face it who buys a phone and leaves it in a box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.