Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Looking for specific people to answer this one. Namely people who live in LA and are on this particular plan.

I live in Los Angeles and am thinking about switching to the "4G" Prepaid unlimited data and text plan from T-mobile that is $30 bucks. I understand that a few people have jumped on that plan but I'm wondering about what kind of speeds they are getting on the HSPA+ "4G" out here in LA on an (At&t) iPhone 5. Are you getting the full spectrum in all of LA since the network here is refarmed? Does LTE work?(I'm pretty sure it doesn't) and do you get the hot spot capabilities?

It seems like a deal too good to be true but one I don't want to overlook.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to ask... is it only 100 minutes total with no nights and weekends or anything of that sort? Are incoming calls counted?

Last edited:

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Looking for specific people to answer this one. Namely people who live in LA and are on this particular plan.

I live in Los Angeles and am thinking about switching to the "4G" Prepaid unlimited data and text plan from T-mobile that is $30 bucks. I understand that a few people have jumped on that plan but I'm wondering about what kind of speeds they are getting on the HSPA+ "4G" out here in LA on an (At&t) iPhone 5. Are you getting the full spectrum in all of LA since the network here is refarmed? Does LTE work?(I'm pretty sure it doesn't) and do you get the hot spot capabilities?

It seems like a deal too good to be true but one I don't want to overlook.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to ask... is it only 100 minutes total with no nights and weekends or anything of that sort? Are incoming calls counted?

I'm in New York, so I can only answer the part after the "EDIT" and nothing LA specific. 100 minutes, no exceptions for nights or weekends. Incoming calls are counted. However, to save myself some minutes, I use the free Vonage app which allows you to dial outbound over a data/wifi connection, and set your caller ID to your actual phone number, so when you call people using the app, they see your actual number.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm in New York, so I can only answer the part after the "EDIT" and nothing LA specific. 100 minutes, no exceptions for nights or weekends. Incoming calls are counted. However, to save myself some minutes, I use the free Vonage app which allows you to dial outbound over a data/wifi connection, and set your caller ID to your actual phone number, so when you call people using the app, they see your actual number.

This Vonage thing is interesting. I knew of their VOIP home service. Is this service you speak off 100% free? I used google voice currently but usually the call quality is terrible.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Yea, it's totally free. Has worked well for me so far on wifi and whenever I have good cell reception.

kikonyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013

hey i'm in nyc too..very curious about this plan too..how's the data speed?

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
hey i'm in nyc too..very curious about this plan too..how's the data speed?

Here's the thing. I'm using T-Mobile, but on a Verizon iPhone 5 (Verizon is manufacturer unlocked for AT&T and T-Mobile's 4G networks). However, it started out VERY well, getting speeds to rival Verizon's LTE on just T-Mobile's HSPA network (I could get 11 down/3 up). Lately (last few weeks) it hasn't been nearly as good to the point where I get 0.5/0.5. However, that's remedied by cycling the LTE function on and off. A bit of a hassle but at least it brings my speed back up.

I CAN'T speak to T-Mobile's LTE speeds here in NYC but from what I've read, they're very good. My next iPhone will be a T-Mobile version which will have LTE.

kikonyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Here's the thing. I'm using T-Mobile, but on a Verizon iPhone 5 (Verizon is manufacturer unlocked for AT&T and T-Mobile's 4G networks). However, it started out VERY well, getting speeds to rival Verizon's LTE on just T-Mobile's HSPA network (I could get 11 down/3 up). Lately (last few weeks) it hasn't been nearly as good to the point where I get 0.5/0.5. However, that's remedied by cycling the LTE function on and off. A bit of a hassle but at least it brings my speed back up.

I CAN'T speak to T-Mobile's LTE speeds here in NYC but from what I've read, they're very good. My next iPhone will be a T-Mobile version which will have LTE.

thanks for the info...seriously considering switching to tmobile from att...

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
thanks for the info...seriously considering switching to tmobile from att...

No problem. I guess the other main thing people considering switching to PREPAID plans on T-Mobile need to know is that it appears that there is no data roaming for prepaid plans. Postpaid/contract plans roam on AT&T's network, I think. Prepaid plans just die where T-Mobile has no service (which hasn't been a problem for me anywhere in NYC proper and most nearby suburbs).

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
No problem. I guess the other main thing people considering switching to PREPAID plans on T-Mobile need to know is that it appears that there is no data roaming for prepaid plans. Postpaid/contract plans roam on AT&T's network, I think. Prepaid plans just die where T-Mobile has no service (which hasn't been a problem for me anywhere in NYC proper and most nearby suburbs).

that's definitely something to think about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.