30" ACD and 24" ACD problems connecting

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, Jun 11, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi,

My dad has a 2008 Mac Pro with a GTX 285 1GB for Mac. This is a new problem, I recently set up his system (it was previously mine), and we've had some issues with the screens.
    Initially it was the 24" ACD wouldn't turn back on after sleep, I checked to make sure everything was plugged in and it was. The 24" is connected with a MiniDisplay Port to DVI adaptor, I thought perhaps that was the problem.

So, then his 30" ACD's white LED light started flickering on and off and following the screen going black (turning itself off) the white light stayed off.
    I checked all the cables, made sure everything was plugged in properly, and it was. Eventually later, some weird visual artefacts showed up on the screen, everything looked very green and fuzzy (REALLY GREEN).

I disconnected the 24" and replaced it with an old 23" regular ACD. And he is still experiencing the problem with the 30".
    Sometimes it doesn't turn on when he boots up (it's the primary boot screen), and sometimes after sleep it doesn't turn on. It does not have any issues while it's though.

I thought perhaps my GPU is damaged? But I can't imagine so.

Any thoughts on this?
    Kind Regards

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Agreed. When GPU's start dying, they usually end up showing weird artefacts/colours on the screen.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I know, but that only happened on the 24" ACD which has a "converter" from a MiniDisplay Port to DVI, which is powered via USB.

The 23" Display has not had a problem so far. I saw the 30" ACD's LED light flickering this morning though, it's staying on now though.

What would cause that?

5. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

You could also have some power line glitches or droops. Have you tried a UPS on any of the displays and such. Also is there any heating or air conditioner unit coming on and off when these artifacts show up. ike others - most likely gpu.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I don't think so, it's only his screens after the move that have been effected.
    We have one of those expensive power boards you plug into the wall, and then all your appliances go into the power board to protect them.

I've fiddled with all the plugs and made sure they are in tight.

That gives me an idea though? How much power can be drawn through one power point? I live in Australia.
    No, we don't have that.
    Might be, but they've been here long before the problems.
    How can my GPU be failing? It's barely a year old?

And if it was failing, wouldn't that just cause the screen to go black, not the white LED light to flicker and go off? Doesn't that indicate something wrong with the power its getting?

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It's error code. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2811

8. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah thank you. If I see it again, I'll check what it means.