30" ACD blacks out

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by suburbia, Sep 16, 2015.

1. suburbia macrumors 6502

After over five years of flawless performance and reliability, my 30" ACD has started to black out-- first, after several hours: it would fade to sleep and can only be turned on again by having the power cable unplugged, and plugged in again (to the power socket). And just now, it will black out within several minutes after the unplugging/plugging.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Could it be that the power adapter/ bar that needs to be replaced? Or is it the internal power supply?

I've checked the Apple boards, and some have/ had similar problems, but the majority are with the newer 27" Thunderbolt Displays, not the older 30" ACD.

Any info would be very much appreciated!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

My issues weren't quite as you described ... mine simply would not display when the cMacPro was powered up. I tried a new power supply brick, but the problem remained. I finally discovered that if I left the USB and FireWire cables unplugged (I didn't actually need the ports on the back of the ACD anyway), and just connected the video cable, it all worked great.

I did manage to get it working again with all the cables plugged in by several PRAM resets, and power up/down cycles ... but the problem returned any time the system was off for an extended time.

3. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for sharing your experience, hfg.

I did try all your suggestions before posting here. I even plugged the display into its own UPS battery backup, but that didn't help.

I think its the power brick that's the issue; It would give out a whizzing/ hissing sound whenever the screen would black out now-- and the screen will black out in about 20 min after it's turned on and will continue to do so within seconds thereafter. With the brick hissing.

Called an Apple store and the woman I talked to had no idea what an Apple Cinema Display was LOL, so she put me through the always very gracious Customer Service, and it's amazing that they don't even carry these older accessories anymore. I guess they want us all to throw out everything every few years. Ended buying a used 150w power adapter from eBay for almost $200, with another $50 for shipping. Hoping this will save my display. If it won’t, I guess I’ll need to move on to replacing the internal power supply. Oh boy...

The 30” ACD is by far the best (and best looking) display Apple’s ever produced. I’ve worked on countless jobs on it and hope I don’t have to give it up yet.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Hmmm ... a "hissing" power brick doesn't sound good. Probably right that the power supply is the problem.

Wow ... that is an expensive used adapter for eBay ... and $50 shipping too??? They must be getting scarce!

5. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

They average $150USD used...

And the Canadian dollar isn't even worth sh*t next to the American dollar LOL

So with American sellers on eBay that have reasonably decent bricks refusing to ship to Canada because apparently Canada is such a faraway land, and absolutely not a single brick available from Canadian sellers, my options are Chinese sellers and the DHL shipping is nearly $50 since I have no intention to wait for 6 weeks to receive my brick via standard shipping.