30" ACD for $800 (used) vs 27" ACD $999 (new)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MJ - Tides Ent., Sep 9, 2010.

1. MJ - Tides Ent. macrumors newbie

Hey folks.

I found a 30" ACD on Craigslist for $900, in great condition, but I think I can talk him down to $800.

Would you buy the 30" or wait a few weeks and get a new 27"

I do graphic design + video editing, color accuracy is important. I've been leaning towards the 30" due to matte for the accuracy + real estate.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

You do the design work professionally? If so I would avoid a used monitor and the 30" ACD is a bit on the dated end of LCD technology. I would go with an LED based monitor so between the two I would get the 27" ACD.

Cheers

3. MJ - Tides Ent. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes professional graphic/video. Im graduating from college and setting up my office.

Going with a new 2010 quad core and 24gb of ram as I cannot afford the Hex, ram, monitor, extra Hard drives, and not to mention Adobe Creative Suite.

I compared Apple's 30" vs 24" in store today, and the 30", although dated, still seems like a pretty nice option for the price/my needs. Maybe I can offer $600 cash? Try to get a real bargain.. if he doesn't have any other offers.

4. MJ - Tides Ent. thread starter macrumors newbie

also, I'd love to purchase one of the NEC monitors with the spectra view, but I really can't afford anything more than $1000. Even the 24" is $1400.

Color is important, but there is almost always some sort of minor shifts from screen to print, as paper choice and printers always vary, so I'm ok without being 100% accurate.

I'd like to be somewhere around 95% accurate as designers always need to do test prints as it is.

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

One more thing

Apple only have 3 year warranty on their screens and you can get 5 year with better service elsewhere.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

27" ACD is glossy which is, more or less, horrible for anything serious designing that needs color accuracy. To be honest, I wouldn't get an  monitor at all. Take a look at EIZO and NEC for example, much better quality

7. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

While I could disagree with the glossy being an issue when your just starting out in design, i'll stay on topic...

If you've got a $1000 budget, i would HIGHLY recommend the Dell U2711. Using bing or ebay should be the price below the 1K mark. It's unfortunately 16:9 ratio but extremely accurate and " best bang for your buck" in it's price range. Just have to get used to the 2560x1440 res. Definitely the first item on my shopping list when i graduate next year.