30" ACD getting use to + optimal distance question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gloor, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    as some of you noticed I have new 30" ACD. It's my first 30" screen and I have few questions I would like to ask those of you who use 30" for some time.

1) I feel a bit dizzy (not much but just slightly) is that normal before I get used to it?
    2) I sit around 90cm from the screen - is that enough or should it be more?
    3) What color profile should I use? HD cinema or Adobe RGB? I don't do editing as I work with Maya and do animation etc. but I would like to have the best out of this screen so any advice how to achieve that would help. P.s.: I have never done color calibration so keep in mind that I am a noob when it comes to that. :)))

Thanks for help guys.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

It is a bit overwhelming isn't it? ;)

It took me a couple of weeks to adjust, and I still prefer web-browsing on my PowerBook. I sit about 70-90cm from the screen and I'm fine most of the time. I do use zoom (Command-Option-8) quite often when entering small text.

I use the supplied Cinema Display profile.

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weird thing happened and I don't know how to solve it. I was trying your Command-Option-8 thing but I wasn't sure what option key is (alt, control or shift) so I tried them one by one and then pressed all of them. Well, my colors inverted now and everything looks like if I was using Sepia (not sure if its the right filter) and I don't know how to put it back. I tried restart and I tried changing color profiles for the screen but nothing happened. Anyone now what it is???

Pic:

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9975/img0923ab6.jpg

4. geefourfivesix macrumors newbie

Pop into 'Universal Access' and there should be an option for high contrast or something like that to turn it off.

I'm looking to get a 30" tomorrow. But these posts give me doubt, is it really that full on and hard to get used to?

5. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

It took me about a day and a half to get used to my 30 inch screen. I've had my screen for about 2 weeks now, and don't even think about the size.

I sit about 2 1/2 - 3 feet away from the screen.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Sorry :eek:
    Command-Alt-Control-8 inverts the screen colours which can be handy on pages with lots of white like Google. Repeating the shortcut puts it back to normal.
    Command-Alt-8 zooms the screen. Use Command-Alt-+ or - to zoom in or out. Use Command-Alt-8 again to revert to normal.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Command-option-8 to zoom? Doesn't work for me either. I zoom by pressing control and scrolling with the mouse scroll ball.

edit: Oh, now I see. Yep, that works. I still prefer the mouse though.

I don't have a 30-inch display but I'd estimate I sit about 60 cm from the monitor (iMac with 17-inch display and 20-inch cinema display).

8. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice, thx for help. Colors are normal now :)

I guess I will have more questions as I am new to mac. I switched 5 months ago and it feels weird as I know a lot about PC and I am technical support for all my friends but I feel like a total noob when it comes to macs. I hope I will learn quickly as I want to as good with macs as I am with pcs :)

9. Beardy man macrumors regular

Still waiting to take the plunge on an ACD 30. (any day now)

How's it going for you? Any graphic glitches, dead pixels?

10. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Took me a few days. Truthfully, I had the same adjustment period going from a 19" 1280x1024 to a Dell 2407WFP. Couldn't understand how anyone could use all of the 1920x1200 but once you open things up and start moving things around, it quickly gets swallowed up.

The 30" was really hard on the eyes and I even felt like selling it for the first few days. I sit about 2 feet away from the screen and it's perfect. At this distance, I only have to shift my my LoS slightly to see see the whole desktop. It's quite indispensable now.

11. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Just do it. Like anything different it takes some getting used to, but you won't regret it.

12. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

No it's not hard to get used to.

It's hard to live without.

Afterwards you'll start coveting a second 30".

13. rouxeny macrumors 6502

I've only had mine for 2 days and I got used to it pretty quick. I'm trying to figure out how to increase the mouse sensitivity because I currently do a lot of "lift and reposition" of the mouse to get from one side of the screen to the other.

Haven't looked into it in great detail, but there didn't seem to be anything with a brief review.

14. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Goto to the "Dock," choose "System Preferences" then "Keyboard & Mouse" -- Mouse is adjusted via the center button.

15. geefourfivesix macrumors newbie

Well, I took the plunge and 'Mr 30' should arrive some time next week! I'll let you know how I get on...