30" ACD hundreds of stuck pixels

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Redneck1089, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I recently bought a used 30" and everything looked great until I switched to a black desktop background. On the very right side of the screen - from top to bottom - there's tiny green pixels stuck on. They aren't bright-bright like what I've seen of other stuck pixels, but if I look really hard I can see them.

Luckily I've got Apple Care with the monitor. I'm probably going to take it in soon to get it inspected and have it either repaired or replaced.

I've tried programs to unstick the pixels; they helped a bit. I also tried gently massaging the screen - what this does is it will get rid of some of the pixels, but then new stuck pixels will appear!

Does anyone else have any suggestions before I take it in? Or does anyone know what kind of repair process I should expect from Apple?

Thanks.

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Gotta be careful when buying used...

Call Apple and they should take care of it...hundreds is definitely not normal. Best of luck!

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I'll give them a shout. Thanks.

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

As long as there is a warranty and there is no physical/water damage they are required to fix it. Seeing as it was purchased used, it is probably a problem that developed with time since the original owner probably would have swapped it out if it was like that out of the box...

Don't worry too much.

5. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I think you're right. I have an appointment with a Mac Genius today. Hopefully they can fix the problem ASAP because I need it for work.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Good, let us know what happened!

7. Esrb99 macrumors member

dude... that sucks. I'm planning to get a new one tomorrow, then I read this! gah. tell us how it goes!

8. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Just got back from the Apple Store. The Mac Genius said that he wasn't sure what they would do in terms of repairing or replacing it, which is a tad annoying. I told him I had hoped they'd replace it...and with a new unit, not a refurbished unit. He said that he'd look into it and run some tests on it, and at the end of the conversation he said he thinks they'll just order me a new screen.

I was also able to show a picture of the screen to him that I took with my iPhone when the monitor was really acting up - thousands of really bright stuck pixels everywhere! This has happened twice, but most of the time if I use a pixel unsticking program the majority go away and I'm left with the usual hundreds of stuck pixels on the right side of the display.

One thing I am worried about is that these pixels don't glare out at you from a distance, you have to be really close to see them. I'm hoping they don't phone me back and say "well, we see a couple bright ones, but not hundreds." When looking closely you can see clouds of these things in bunches of tens or more.

Anyways, this is where I am at with it. :(

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

You have to be persistent with Apple. Many "geniuses" will try and make it seem like your apple product is working fine when in fact it's a complete mess. Whatever they do - replace it or fix it - don't stop until you're 100% satisfied with it.

10. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Just got back from the Apple Store...with my brand new 30 inch Cinema Display!!!

They replaced the defective one. I can't tell you how much better this one is too! The color is better, the screen is brighter...and it has that new computer smell to it too! This is why I shop with Apple. I'm very please!

Thanks for your help queshy!

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Glad it turned out well for you! Sometimes the response can be a crap shoot. I've always had good experiences, others are not nearly as happy. Don't forget to leave the sacrifice at the Apple Store at the stroke of midnight! ;)

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Excellent! I'm very glad it turned out well. Enjoy your monitor!