30" ACD, MacPro and BluRay?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dreamail, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dreamail macrumors 6502

From what I could gather once you add a BluRay drive to the MacPro when booted into Windows (via Bootcamp) it can play BluRay movies - even on a connected 30" Apple Cinema Display. In fullscreen 1080 HD.

Is this actually still the case with the latest Windows 7 and latest BluRay discs?
    Or did I get that wrong?

As far as I understand the BluRay specification requires that the signal is encrypted all the way into the monitor. Something the 30" ACD does not support.
    Seems like as long as the OS kernel does the encryption/decryption for now companies are OK with Windows sending an un-encrypted signal to the monitor.

But by the looks of it there is no guarantee that this won't change any time with newer BluRay discs. Seems like one would be at the mercy of the BluRay disc/Windows.

Or to put it differently:
    Even if above mentioned setup currently plays BluRay discs in 1080 HD, what are the odds that this will stop working with newer BluRay titles soon?

Anyone know anything more about this?

2. darkus macrumors regular

Havent done it myself, but i wouldnt see why not..

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure the Apple 30" supports HDMI copy protection. That will be your limiting step in playing BluRay on it.

I know the Dell 3008WFP does, but it also has a scaler, analog inputs, DisplayPort and an HDMI port on it...

4. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Mac Pro - check
    Blu-Ray drive - check
    30" ACD - check
    Windows software to play a blu ray: :(. Sorry

I boot to Windows to rip blu rays with AnyDVD, but then I go back to OS X for manipulating the rip. That includes playing back the .m2ts movie file. Of course, once I get it on the hard drive, all the copy protection is gone so i can play it with Plex. I *know* I can't play back the actual disc in OS X, but I don't have a way to try it in Windows either. But, as I understand it, it shouldn't work as the 30" ACD is not HDCP compliant.