30" ACD or 27" iMac i5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by suburbia, Nov 29, 2009.

1. suburbia macrumors 6502

The title says it all: 30" ACD or 27" iMac i5?

Graphic designs, digital imaging and retouching. I know the i5 is clearly the better deal-- but that glossy display is worrying me. Color-calibration would only do so much.

Anyone in a similar position as myself? Any recommendations or suggestion would be much appreciated!

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Do you already have a Mac Pro to drive the ACD?

I think Apple will announce new displays in January.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I have the ACD 30" and would not trade it for the world.

More real estate, matte screen.

If Apple comes out with a new screen, it will be glossy and probably 32";

However, the glossy kills it for me and i am not even a designer.

Cannot imagine even sitting at my desk with worries about glare from the windows reflecting back at me. it is hard enough this day and age to get lighting that doesn't harm your eyes: the glare issue is just a deal breaker to me. Hope Apple figures this out and makes a matte screen.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When I said that I'd like a display bigger than the 24" LED Cinema Display, an employee at a retail Apple Store suggested that I buy a 27" iMac and use it only as a screen with my MacBook Pro. Price-wise that didn't make sense to me. If you don't need a new computer, buy whatever size display you can afford but not a computer. If you do need a new computer, a 27" iMac is probably plenty big for most uses.

5. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

ntrigue: for my 2.4 17" MacBook Pro.

Doctor Q: The i5 would be replacing my Intel 20" iMac-- not to be used solely as a display.

California: The matte display of the 30" is the main attraction, but the last time it was updated was in 2006, and although not outrageously priced at $1499 CDN at the refurbished store, it's still not something I would cop immediately. As for the possibility of a 32" ACD in the new year, and as arrogant as Apple has been lately, I don't think they would release an only-glossy version of this: They may be arrogant-- but certainly not stupid...

Thanks all!

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

In your situation I'd probably go for the 27" iMac, as much as I love my 30" (I too wouldn't trade it for the world).

However, you are doing graphic design and photography, it'd definitely be more wise to go with a matte display. Is your current mbp and imac enough for your needs? If you aren't doing video editing, the 2.4 will be plenty even if you shoot raw.

I'd go with the 30" if you have the funds, it is absolutely amazing to view my photos full screen, I can see every detail in a sharp picture, and consequently identify badly taken pictures.