30" ACD or 305t+ owners - buzzing sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by futuremac, Nov 11, 2008.

1. futuremac macrumors member

My Samsung 305t+ arrived today. I cant get over the annoying buzzing/humming sound coming from the monitor. I read this is because of the power supply built into the screen. The ACD's is external, so can you tell me if your ACD is making any noise in a quite room?

I want to keep the Samsung even though colours are oversaturated and is too bright at the minimum setting, mostly because it doesn't have the shimmering effect of IPS panels. If I can't get a dead quiet 30" I'll go back to using only the MBP screen until OLEDs come out :D

I don't know if I should swap, or get a refund and get a used ACD. Any 305t+ users with a dead quiet monitor?

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

3. dave12345 macrumors regular

I just send my 30" ACD for repair because of a buzzing sound that only happened when the brightness was at less that full level. They're sending me a replacement. I'm hoping this one is going to be quiet!

4. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

5. futuremac thread starter macrumors member

If you put your ear to the back in a quiet room is there any buzz, even a little bit?

6. futuremac thread starter macrumors member

I think I should get a 23-24". This 30" is a beast. I actually prefer looking at the MBP monitor, just seems easier on the eyes. Maybe ccf backlight flicker on the 30 is kinds annoying.

7. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I just checked and I couldn't hear a thing.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

9. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Mine too just to cast my ballot.

11. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

My power adapter was buzzing when the display was on or off. AppleCare shipped replacement and new one is dead silent.

12. futuremac thread starter macrumors member

I'm sending back my 305t+ for a refund. I'll keep my eye out this week for the 23 ACD as they are at End of Life and might be able to pick up a special and mount it on an Ergatron.

13. dave12345 macrumors regular

there's nothing worse that a buzzing monitor 2 feet away from your face! defiantly get a replacement - i'm getting my new one sent over on monday.

14. dave12345 macrumors regular

OK, I received my new display today - this one is a lot quieter - but it has a couple of dead pixels - really annoying - i'm getting a replacement on thursday.

15. dave12345 macrumors regular

I received my new 30" ACD on friday - This one is totally perfect - no buzzing - no dead pixels - 3rd time lucky I guess.

16. dave12345 macrumors regular

i've just noticed that my 30" acd (3rd replacement!) has developed a large dark area in the bottom left corner - looks like i'll be getting yet another replacement!

17. gary222 macrumors newbie

dead 305t

I just received my Samsung 305t today, but I get no picture at all. I tried it on 5 computers here at work, with differing video cards, and got no signal from any of them. I'm quite sure that at least a couple of the cards are dual DVI. I literally spent 7 hours today trying to figure this out. I called Samsung and ATI. It appears the monitor arrived dead, unless there is some minimum vram requirement or something that I don't know about.

18. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

19. lAciDl macrumors member

my 3007 makes a buzzing noise but you have to stick your head behind the screen and almost have your face against it to even hear it.

dell refurb 3007hc's are only $750shipped i dont see any point in buying an 30" acd or the samsung new, but thats just my 2 pennies

20. nutritious macrumors 6502

I have a 305t+. It's an awesome monitor and I prefer its picture compared to the 30" ips panels that have aggressive antiglare coating and poorer blacks. Only problem is the input lag, but I've adjusted.

21. NonBorn macrumors newbie

I got that screen today, but I have a problem with white color... White isnt the same vertically in the screen... In the bottom of the screen its more reddish... Is this a known problem of the model or Its just my screen and I have to return it??

Thanks in advace...

22. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Agreed on the antiglare coating. Samsung has really perfected their S-PVA displays in this aspect.