30" ACD supposed to run hot?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netdog, Aug 31, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

This thing is hot to the touch. Is that how it is supposed to be?

2. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I don't know how hot they are supposed to get, but they will get very warm. There are no vents in the back like the Dell's, etc. So all the heat comes through the aluminum.

I was at an Apple store last night and noticed the ACD's were very warm to the touch.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Mine gets warm along the top, but I never touch it (except for now of course) so what's the problem?

4. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Just want to verify that it isn't defective while it is still new. Mine also gets quite warm on the right side.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine is < 4 weeks old and yes, it gets hot. I actually believe it changes the temp in my room ever so slightly.

6. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

My 20'' ACD is pretty old, about 3 years, and it's always been warm. Pretty sure it happens to all of the ACDs

7. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Yeah, along with any other LCD display. I walked by a 32" LCD TV at shoulder height and was surprised how much heat it threw off.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

I have two 30" ACD's in my room and I can tell you they change the temp a lot more than "ever so slightly"...:eek:

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

All flat panels, especially the large ones, throw off ALOT of heat. The 30" uses 150 watts, I'd say it should heat up a little, but unless it burns you, I wouldn't be concerned.

From the apple website:
    But have you ever been to a big TV store where they have plasmas/LCDs along a whole wall? It's kinda like floor heating, but on the wrong plane. :D

10. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

We'll see if the new ones run cooler; will their likely thinner case designs cool them down or warm them up?

-=|Mgkwho

11. mBurns macrumors 6502

Good info to know about the ACD. I'm in the market for an ACD and didn't even think about the vent situation.