30" ACD very grainy??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AdiosVista, Jan 14, 2009.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Anyone bothered by the grainy/glittery screens of the older style Apple Cinema Displays (not the newest glass ones)? I have a 30" and while I really like the IPS panel and colors, the graininess is almost unbearable. I did some quick searching but most of the threads were for MBP screens. Any notice this ACD issue?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have no idea what you see, but my display is not grainy at all. Purchased May 2007 IIRC.

3. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

It's like a grainy/shimmery look. I've used many other displays, most recently a new iMac 24", and on those you could lean in close to the screen and clearly see each individual pixel. On my 30", everything has that "shimmer" and grainy look, it makes things look a little fuzzy or hazy.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

yes....

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I know what you're talking about. No you're not crazy. Pretty much every apple LCD (matte) that i've seen has this effect. Not much you can do about it I think.

7. Weepul macrumors regular

Yes.

At risk of me being a soapboxing broken record:

This is why I've had my eyes open for a glossy IPS-based panel, and of course, now that Apple has made one, it won't work with desktops...yet. Believe it or not, to me, glossy would be the lesser of the evils.

(Glossy+AR coated, like a CRT, would be my ideal.)

I'd like to see the NEC 26" screen in person; it has a more coarse pixel pitch, and I wonder if that would reduce the graininess.

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I noticed this when I first got an ACD, but got over it in a matter of weeks. You may simply be a little too close to it. It's the standard look of these screens, which all things considered, are still some of the best out there.

9. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

I have mixed feelings about the glossy screens. I also recently picked up a new MBP, glossy, and absolutely hate the screen on the laptop. I don't want to stir the bees on this topic but my personal opinion is the glassbook is incredibly hard to use because of the mirror-like reflection. However, my desktop is in a room where the light is more manageable and I could probably live with a glossy display. Problem is, I'm in love with the real estate a 30" gives you and Apple's new displays don't come in that size... yet. I do love my current display, it's a great monitor, but the graininess is very hindering for the design work I do. I'm constantly zooming in and out in Photoshop/Illustrator and it's crazy how hard it is to see some pixel edges because of this lame haze/shimmer/grain/fuzz/whatever.

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I guess what I'm saying is that more likely than not your eyes will adjust. My first ACD was after using CRTs for years. The change was abrupt and annoying at first, but like a lot of things after a while you look back at what you were using before and realize it was garbage compared to what you are now used to.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

All the 23" and the 30" ACD have the shimmering look as that is the characteristics of an S-IPS panel.

The new 24" LED ACD elminates this as its the newer superior H-IPS panel.

12. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

But when does the 30" LED come out? I can't go back to 24".

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I know what you're talking about as I noticed the same thing the first week or so when I got my 30" ACD. To be honest, you get used to it and by getting used to it it's not a bad thing. Really great display for color work.