30" ACD with games on 1600 or 1920 resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mangaroo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Mangaroo macrumors regular

How well do games look on the current apple 30" at resolutions of 1920 or 1600?

Thank you

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If no-one else will answer this until then, I will heave one of the 30" ACD's across to one of my Dells tonight and let you know. I don't run a proper-gaming-capable card on any of my Macs - the stock 8800GT and FX5600 are all I've got.

Just inserting this post as a reminder for the search when I get home. What do you want it compared to? 24" Dell, 23" ACD, 27" Dell?

3. Mangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much Sesshi, it's much appreciated.

I currently own a 24" Dell, so probably most helpful for me if you compare it to that!

Thanks again!

4. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

You should really look on YouTube they have plenty of videos on that checkout Maxishine channel

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Games look glorious iat 1920x1200 (but even better at 2560x1200 as I run COD4 on the 8800GT) - very pretty and acceptable frame rates maxed out if you play with some settings.......

Usually I game at 1920 tho (more because some games get a little picky at the higher res)......

6. Mangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

i've been looking at the youtube videos but i cannot really tell at all, even with the higher quality youtube settings...but ill check out Maxishine now!

Edit - ok just watched quite a few of his, unfortunately he is playing mostly at 2560 resolution, even with his older videos. I'm pretty sure i wont be able to do this with COD4/UT3 with the 3870, which is sort of why i want to see what lower resolutions look like or have someone give me their experience, especially at 1600. I'm a bit worried as a few weeks ago i heard a few people say it was a bit horrible because of no scaler? but i have no idea if what they are saying is true so came to get some first hand experiences :D

thanks costabunny - it is good to know, i just worry about it because i keep hearing it has no scaler? to be honest im not entirely sure what that means, i know my monitor has a scaler and im guessing it just allows you to display lower res inputs up, but if the apple doesn't, are you playing with black bars at lower resolutions?

Also, out of interest, does anyone happen to know if WC3 supports 2560? :)

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Sorry - still at the office. I'll get around to heaving them around tomorrow.

I'll do a comparison @ 1920 x 1200 with the 2407WFP-HC. Crysis OK as a test?

8. Mangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

fantastic, i would love one lower resolution too (16xx) if thats ok?

9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

My input may not be so helpful since I have a Dell 30", but I set most games to 1920 (with my older X1900 card) and am quite happy with the results. Although if you already have a 24", it's good to realize that the image quality will actually go down a bit (scaled image vs native) although obviously the size/immersion will increase. I'm gaming a little these days on my 24" as I'm in the middle of a move and it's not a massive difference. In terms of screen real estate in productivity, it is. 30" is worth-while, but if you already have a 24" and will game at 1920, then for mostly gaming, it's probably not.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

OK - so having heaved the monitors over, I'd say it's not unusable, but the ACD30 running at 1920 x 1200 is definitely worse than the 2407WFP-HC running at 1680 x 1050. It's the same sort of effect, but blurrier.

In many games it shouldn't be a huge issue. I prefer to run games at native resolution of the panel for best results, which is why I use a 27" display on my Skulltrails with dual GTX280's - because I just want to be able to set everything to high, 1920 x 1200 and leave it at that. It depends on whether you share my sentiments or not.

11. Virtuoso macrumors regular

Not great in my opinion - it's an old monitor now and the scaling and latency are quite noticeable. I don't use my Macs for games, but on my PCs and consoles, I get better results from my 1080p TV (Samsung LN52A750) than I do from my 30" Apple monitor.

Quality always takes a hit when you stray from the native resolution of the screen.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Any LCD will look rubbish when not at its native resolution - it will always look blurred no matter how old the screen is.

Gaming is certainly doable at 1920x1200 but I wouldn't really bother. I'd rather run the game at lower settings but still at 2560x1600. If I absolutely need to then I'll jump right down to 1280x800. Right now though, I've got two 3870s and running in Crossfire mode in Windows, I've been able to play every game I've tried at 2560x1600 with no problems (although I don't have any of the newest games).

I would say though, with such a high DPI you can get away with only 2x Anti-Aliasing. The screen's such high resolution that jaggies are barely noticeable. You can even go without completely it a lot of the time if you need those extra fps.

13. kabunaru Guest

How many FPS do you get in Crysis with the Quadro FX 5600 at either resolution? What settings did you use?

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't. I use the GTX 280's. I can try it sometime though if you're curious.

15. kabunaru Guest

I would like it if you tried Crysis on the FX 5600. Thanks for the time if you do it.