30" Acd

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Architect4122, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Dilemma:

Currently have a MBP and 23" ACD....love them and the aesthetic.

[not a huge fan of the new designs...and think the old school (non-24") ACD are best paired with the MacPro]

Should I jump and get the current 30" ACD for a new MacPro or wait for a better upgraded screen which will undoubtedly be the new design I don't really care for (but a better monitor over all (i.e. LED, etc.).

I know Apple screens aren't the cheapest, but as a designer I do consider aesthetics and design as important....after all.... design and aesthetic is a service I sell; I understand and accept paying a little extra for that side of a product.

Thanks

[note: I put this in the MacPro forum b/c I feel more MacPro users would see this here versus another forum]

2. Frixo Cool macrumors member

Apple Cinema 30" is one of the best Apple products ever. I use it in my office and home since the early 2005. They are perfect and worth every cent - and today they cost half the original price. Difference in quality and color consistency over the years to Cinema 23" is huge. Cinema 30" is the best monitor I have worked on, and I had Eizos before...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

30" LED H-IPS panels are... prohibitively expensive right now.

A new 30" isn't feasible for a year (or more), I wouldn't say.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

My 23 ACD was great and my 30 ACD is great. Do not want glass covered LED in possible Apple update to the 30"... I will buy another one of these as insurance if need be. I like the firewire ports, too.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I bought the 30" a few months back for exactly those reasons. I wanted it to match my 23"ers, I didn't want glossy and I didn't want a price rise.

6. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

The Samsung SyncMaster XL30 Monitor is currently $2,500. How much was the 30" ACD when it came out ? Why doesn't Apple just contract Samsung for their 30" LED ACD, stick an Apple sticker on it, and charge their delirious fans $4,000 ? :D

Seriously, if Apple waits a year or two to update the prehistoric 30" ACD, almost every Apple monitor customer will have bought an NEC, HP, Dell, LG or Samsung for half the price by then.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wow, is it?

Apple uses Samsung panels, too... Hmm...

The 30" was $3,200 at launch, so with the standard Apple markup, a $3,000 LED H-IPS 30" isn't out of the question.

8. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

I wonder why Apple is waiting ? Doesn't it worry them that so many customers are switching to other monitors over the last couple of years ? Puzzling, to say the least. Hopefully there will be an ACD refresh with an affordable value line and a professional LED series. Wait, what am I smoking ? :D

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Samsung...5YnR2BF9TAzk2NjMyOTA3BHNlYwNmZWVkBHNsawNjb21w

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/...e=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS30EDDLB/XAA

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/print/samsung-sm-xl24-xl30.html

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

 aren't worrying about 30 ACDs. They're where the money is.. the iPhones and consumer gear..

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I think :apple: won't bother with a new monitor until the recession is over.

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Which displays have S-PVA panels in?

12. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

I picked up my Dell 3007WFP-HC for $689 with coupon from the outlet and it is supposedly the same LCD panel in the ACD.

13. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Sweet. Great deal.

14. yezza macrumors regular

I can vouch for the ACD 30" - it's a pure joy to work with. Hell, it's something that we look at 98% of the time that we're using our computers - being aesthetically pleasing is virtually as important as functionality. Just like you're considering, I chose to spend the extra and purchase a monitor I would love using, rather than something I thought was only "ok".

But, before purchasing be sure that you will not require any extra connectivity options, as a lot of the competition now provide. There may also be an issue playing blu-ray on these beasts, though you'll have to do your own research on that. If you're fine with this, I say go for it! :D

15. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

i'm waiting

I just going to wait it out, i've already waiting for a year and a half and saved up $6575.78 but some of that will go to my next Mac Pro in 2010 but all in all if I waited this long might as well wait for the new 30" inch maybe write an email to Steve Jobs and ask him why update every Apple product but not the desktop displays and i'm kinda of hoping that if Apple do decides to update their displays they will include a DVI-D Dual Link to Mini Displayport adapter so that we can use 1GB 285 GTX Mac Edition with the LED Cinema Display that will be awesome but only time will tell, CinemaView is making a DVI-D Dual Link to Mini Displayport adapter and it's coming out in september wonder if the company will sale the adapter individually, and how hard is it to make such adapter? I thought Apple would of come out with DVI-D Dual Link to Mini Displayport adapter by now, so that Mac users with standard DVi input on older Mac Pro, MacBook Pros can enjoy using the LED Cinema Display.

16. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Yes, I don't understand what apple doing with their led display and no DVI to MDP. I'm sure yes, it must be difficult to construct, but shouldn't they have thought of that before they implemented MDP??

They are losing a large market of people who want to run the LED display, but can't, and end up going for cheaper 3rd party option.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dell's actually uses a newer revision of the same panel to the ACD but even if the panels were identical, the Dell's onboard controller clearly isn't. This clearly shows when you're trying to have multiple displays calibrated to the same colour space.

Personally, If i know what I know now, I would of gone with another Apple and forfitted the extra video inputs.

18. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

30"

I just saw that it is $1299 at the refurb store for the 30". Last I recall, it was 1399 or 1499. Are we getting an upgrade soon?

Also the refurb price for the 24" LED is down to 699.

19. frimple macrumors 6502

That's a great price on the 30 (well, for Apple ;)). After the updates hit I wouldn't mind picking up 2x23's or if I could get it for under 1500, 2x30's :eek: !

20. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

You must be referring to the Dell 3008WFP. The 3007WFP-HC only has one video input (DVI) and no scalar controller.