30" Apple ACD vs. Dell

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thiol, Mar 30, 2008.

?

Best quality 30" monitor?

1. Apple ACD for $1800

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dell 3008 for $2000

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Dell 3007 for $1200

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. other

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Which monitor would you buy comparing specs only, not aesthetics?

2. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

best price / performance would be the dell 3007 if your graphics card can handle it. in terms of specs though, i think the dell 3008 wins out

3. supercooled macrumors 6502a

FWIW, people who's worth their salt say the 3007 is better than the 3008 (which makes me sad) in terms of colour reproduction, image lag/ghost, etc.

It depends what you want out of the monitor. The 3008 can be your perfect entertainment companion if you want it to do more than handle your computer tasks. It has HDMI, 2x DVI, VGA and component as well as an obscure, yet untapped, DisplayPort. I tried running my Xbox360 on it via HDMI and it looks great. So you have the whole gamut covered pretty much.

If someone offered me a 30" ACD trade for it, I wouldn't think twice though.
    Hope you're more confused now than before. Have a nice day.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Dell 3008.

Lack of HDCP on the ACD is a deal-breaker for me. I want to be able to watch future protected high definition content in high definition.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Dell 3008WFP it's the best because of it's brand new panel and all the ports you could ever want for now anyway.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I just bought a ViewSonic 28", because I got a very good price. Roughly $950.
    I´m very happy with it. I would prefere an ACD though.
    HDCP dosen´t matter to me as I have my TV if I need to watch anything

7. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I have the 30" ACD and wouldn't trade it for anything else of the same size.

8. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

9. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Wow, the current poll results show all three running neck and neck... I don't understanding the finer points of displays well enough, but can anyone really tell the difference between the Dell 3007 and 3008? i.e. How much does the new contrast ratio matter, etc.

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Panel has been updated in the 3008WFP the Contrast isn't overly important unless you do Professional Photo editing. Gamut isn't of much use right now as nothing supports some people reccommend against it some love it.

11. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Are both the 3007 and 3008 S-IPS like the Apple ACD? This wasn't trivial to find on the Dell web site...

12. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Per http://axofiber.no-ip.org/inside/monitor.lcd.panels.en.htm both are S-IPS panels (and are even the same LG panel).

To toss another option (and confuse you even more :) I bought an HP LP3065 and haven't regretted it for a second. I looked it it side-by-side with the Apple ACD at B&H and honestly preferred it - like the black frame versus the 'aluminum' one. On a 30" display it was a lot more subtle

I use it for video editing and aside from the reds being a little intense out of the box, I have no complaints (and at $1300...). The Apple Monitor Calibration for it is pretty spot on (aside from the aforementioned reds). Doesn't have the inputs that the Dell 3008 has (but are you really going to hook it up to a cable box?) but had no dead pixels or any other issues.

13. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I know the 3008 is. I thought the 3007 was not, but I could be wrong based on the next post.

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

According to http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php, yes, they are both S-IPS.

15. geon macrumors member

I've got the 3007 and and have been pretty happy with it. I got it when it was on sale for $950. The monitor does make an occasional popping sound, not sure if that's normal or not, but just figured it's the plastic casing expanding, etc. Also, when I wake it from sleep, I will occasionally see a slight flckering in the left, lower quadrant for about a minute or so, but then it's fine. The three year warranty was the kicker when I bought it. When I get some more desk space, I'll probably pop for an Apple.

16. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

you've really got to think about your uses here...

I have the ACD 30" in my office and the 24" Dell at home... considering getting the 3008 because of the 24.

Here's why:

When I walk into work everyday and see that fracking beautiful ACD sitting next to my MacPro all uncluttered and skinny and gorgeous, it makes me so happy I buy apple products. I LOVE it. It gorgeous to work on as well.

Here's the kicker... I have a 42" LCD 1080p TV that I love... but it's the only HDTV in our house and it's not in my office and my wife need to watch T.V. as well.... SO.... when I start jonesing to play some xBox 360 or some PS3 for a break while I'm working it's nice to be able to switch out on my 24" to play a bit.... When I have LAN parties at the office, it's hard to sit there using a tiny monitor when I could have the xBox connected to a 30"... etc, etc...

I will definitely be buying the 3008 for my home office next... Apple touts the media and they REALLY need to get these inputs and scaling on their otherwise flawless displays.

If you have other media you want to play on it, get the dell... the fact is if you are going to pay that much for a massive 30" display, it should serve both purposes anyway.

BUT. If you don't have that need, GOD I LOVE my ACD.

Home that helps

17. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

oh yeah, and if you run a business or have a friend that does you can get the 3008 for 1400-1600 depending on whether the sales rep is in a good mood or not...

18. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

How would you do this? Just call and ask for a discount? Thanks for the info!

20. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I wouldn't trade the ACD for anything. I know you said aesthetics aside, but it's hard to get away from it. Aesthetics is everything. I don't like the Dell look or the build quality. I see that they dropped the plastic enclosure in favor of aluminum, just like Apple. So aesthitcs must count for something if they're looking to copy Apple. And don't say they're not.

I also don't like the fact that they litter their displays with ports that often don't get used. Really, you need every type of card slot? It craps up the whole thing. And the stand is hideous.

21. SpinThis! macrumors 6502

btw: you can get the 30" for $1599 with a student discount via the education store...

22. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Not everyone can get the education discount.