30" Apple Display: Concerns about buying now

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by -Noodles, Jan 15, 2008.

1. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I was really hoping for a price drop or update today on the monitors. I am buying a new mac pro and will need a display. I had planned on going with the 30".

I haven't done the research on what's current technology for displays. How does apple's 30" compete given its age? Is there anything I should be overly concerned about?

I'm leaning towards buying one despite their age. Knowing the resale value will be high is comforting. However, it would be extremely irritating if they are holding back an upgrade for later in the quarter knowing the mac pro update will help empty their current inventory.

Given that there's a 30" display in every apple store I've seen it in use enough times to feel comfortable with its performance (colors, brightness, etc). Unfortunately with other 30" displays you have to go mostly by review and hope their satisfaction will equal your own as there is not an opportunity to see them in use anywhere. Input would be appreciated - thx :)

2. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

30" Apple Display

I was going to buy a new display, too, if any new announcements were made. I have a 20" Cinema display, which I bought in 2004. It works great, but I was going to get the 30". The prices have already come down quite a bit. I think the 30" cost about $2200 just 15 months ago and I paid $1299 for the 20" in 2004. The 30" reviews on the Apple site are mostly positive, if you want to check them out. I haven't made up my mine, either.:confused:

3. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

My greatest concern is the technology. Is there something around the corner that will impact screens in a big way? I don't know, I haven't followed it in a while. The 30" display was revolutionary when it was first introduced and is certainly still impressive. I can't see anything revolutionary in terms of brightness, colors, size etc coming, I think they've pretty much mastered that. If bumps are coming then its not such a big concern to me to buy now. I just didn't want to have a blind spot checking out with 1600 dollar display.:cool:

4. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

I was really hoping for the release of a new screen or display/dock, Apple has to be working on new ones, I would seriously wait until they release new ones (spring/summer). An idea if you cant wait is to go to macofalltrades.com and buy a 30inch used one.

5. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

im in the same EXACT boat as you. buying a mac pro, want the 30" display. just thinking myself tho, i would think they have to get an update soon. most likely thinner with a built in i sight. i mean the mac pro's are thinner than the apple cinema displays or about just the same. which means to me most likely they are working on making the new cinema display thinner and of course a built in i sight since they dont even make the add on one anymore. im prob going to hook up mine to my 23" samsung tv until they release a new one plus it will give me time to save up .:):D

6. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I am on the EXT same boat as you and the guy above me. I'm literally sitting here and thinking about what I should do. The Cinema display is now quite dated. It was last updated in March of 2006 and originally debuted towards the end of 2003. I really do not want to purchase a display that does not match the look and feel of the Mac Pro tower. The Dell 3008WFP just came out and it has pretty positive reviews, but it's no ACD.

I really cannot wait any longer to order my Mac Pro. I currently have a Dell 2005FPW that I can use for a few months until something pops up, but nothing is confirmed. :(

7. supercooled macrumors 6502a

If you believe what all the "pundits" here has to say, then an update is imminent. That's about all that we can agree on; when though is another matter. They said it would be sometime in 2007 but that came and went.

The transition of the G5 PowerMac to the Mac Pro introducing only a second optical bay, I think they're keen on keeping it as-is for the foreseeable future. When LED backlit makes it to the ACD, I can see them keeping the same housing and upgrading that. Point is, buy now and enjoy your purchase. Any changes in the pipes could be months or years away and when they do come, it won't be light years different, i.e imperceptible to the eye at face value.

Buy and enjoy. Live in the moment.

8. Beardy man macrumors regular

Count me in. I'm waiting to order a new MacPro. I was waiting to see what was happening with the ACD's as I was hoping to get a 30 but i'm bricking myself over laying down GBP1199 when there seems to be so many people with faulty screeens. Apple don't seem to even admit there is a problem but this thread over at the Apple site begs to differ:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5840944&#5840944

As a graphic designer I'm really tempted with the ADC because of the SWOP LUT etc (an iSight would have been nice). I don't need any newer technology (LED backlight would have been nice), I'm okay with the price (a price cut would have been nice)

I really wanted a new ACD 30 to come out as it would have given Apple a chance to deliver a proper, working display - some guys on the list are on their 3rd replacement, still no joy.

Has anyone out there got experience of how many WORKING ACD 30's there are compared to duff ones (I realise that the Apple "problems" pages don't give the most balanced view) or have suggestions for good PRINT quality 30"ers?

Ready to order the MacPro now, but the more I think about it, Apple have lost me as a display customer.

9. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I have a working 30" display here in our studio.

It is fantastic overall. The gamut is perfect for print work.

We just bought a new HP LP3065 which is simply an outstanding panel. Much more vibrant and higher gamut, but a bit crazy for print simulation.

I am one of the doubters: I do not think you will see ACD updates for quite some time. They serve their intended audience of print pros well and Apple is probably making a fortune on them, for better or for worse.

10. amik macrumors regular

Dante,

Have you had any success calibrating your LP3065 for print work? With mine on the way, I'm shopping around for a calibration solution that will tame the 3065 a little bit.

11. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I use a SpyderPro with OptiCAL.

It works pretty well, although, we have not really battle-tested the HP for print work yet. I have an ACD specifically for that.

I did open up a Children's Book I published for Musician Michael Franti

http://www.whatibe.org/

It looked okay on the calibrated HP LP3065 but the brightness was still a bit too high for real world color matching.

This book was printed on a older press in Texas run by a staff with "just bizzare" color profiles and calibration experience.

We dialed in an ACD pretty close to matching their press but also had to use a CRT as a really customized alternative to get a reliable monitor/press match.

I think I'll take another run at calibrating this HP real soon: for now we are using it on a large website development project so the colors are really nice. HOWEVER, it is so vibrant that I am worried about accurate development even for the web. The site we are building looks really different on lessor gamut LCD monitors, more like what our client has.

I will let you know if we make any progress with the calibration.

Dante

12. ODLAWMAC macrumors newbie

Pros-Great Consumers-Suck

I am in the same place, I do video Editing as a hobby and am always looking for the latest apple technology. I want to purchase the new Mac Pro. As for the displays, i think the Pro user doesn't really care about this Isight built in or cooler looking design. But for people like me and u, it would be nice and we don't want to waste are money on what would be an old technology. I think the revamp of the displays are just around the corner and i have a strong feeling we might see them in early/middle march. The ACD'S are awesome for what their used for. I am going to wait another 3 weeks and then buy the new Mac Pro and 2x 30" ACD'S. If they update them...well technology is changing everyday. I don't think current ACD owners are going to be disappointed when the upgrade comes around!

13. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

I say wait on buying ACD if you can. The update has to be soon. I am just going to buy Dell for now and buy ACD when it comes out.

14. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I wanted to do that, what are you going to do with the Dell when the ACD comes out? That's the question I ask myself. Which Dell, 3008WFP?

15. jasone6 macrumors member

Nice! I love Michael Franti! I had no idea he had a book for children... may just have to check that out. Did you work closely with him? (not to sidetrack the thread... feel free to PM me).

-Jason

16. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

Well finally pulled the trigger:

Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    2GB (2 x 1GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
    Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

KAAPOW .... :)

17. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Very nice system. Post some pics! :) Are you in video editing?

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

To be honest, an amazing new technology could come out tomorrow but it still wouldn't change the fact that the screen quality of my 30" ACD is just eye-blisteringly stunning. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I hope that helps. I know it's difficult to buy a product that has been around for a while, but with the 30" ACD it's with good reason.

19. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I'd hold off, it will probably still be a few months before new displays are released, but no sense in buying a $1700 display now that is already 4 years old.

If you want a display now, take a look at the Dell 3007wfp-HC. Many people including myself think it is actually a better looking display than the current 30" ACD. 92% NTSC color gamut. The trade off is a slightly less attractive case, but the thing is $1300 with a 3 year warranty and I believe free shipping right now.

20. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

There is the 3008WFP as well, it's $2,000 though. I was thinking about buying it, but what am I going to do with it when the new ACD's come out?

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That's a killer system, but if you haven't already planned on it you're going to want to add at least an additional 2gb of third party RAM.

22. HooHar macrumors member

I'm another ACD waiter - new Mac Pros look great but I'm waiting for the new ACDs. iSight inclusion option would be nice but main reason is not wanting to part with wonga for old technology.
    Until they release the next incarnation of the ACD30 - I'm happy to continue using my PC.
    :eek:

23. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

I'm applying to study film in the fall so final cut is down the road. In the meantime, for the next couple months, it'll mostly be Adobe CS3 and Ableton to use on osx and Autocad and Sketchup to use on vista. There's a sketchup for osx but i've heard its buggy -need to look into it. And I have a copy of logic express 7 though it looks like it'll require some study before using it as the interface is fairly daunting and unintuitive. Light gaming and movie watching as well.

24. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

yeah i'll probably do this at the same time I pick up final cut in a couple months. maybe see a drop in the price for ram by then too? for now I can get by with the 2.

25. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

We think alike my friend, we think alike! :) I'm running a 2005FPW with a Dell E1405 2.0ghz core 2 duo, 2gb of ram, and 7200rpm 160gb hdd with Vista ultimate on it right now. I hate it, most definitely, but I will not buy old technology. Hopefully a new ACD will be out by June.