Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
Dang. I'm on AT&T, and this is the first year I've gotten charged for it. Seems ridiculous being charged when the order has nothing to do with the carrier lol

Just posted a thread about this myself. It’s absurd. Carrier is doing nothing. We can obviously attempt to get it waived but that’s not guaranteed. With Apple care being available monthly now I may just buy an unlocked phone and avoid this whole thing.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Just posted a thread about this myself. It’s absurd. Carrier is doing nothing. We can obviously attempt to get it waived but that’s not guaranteed. With Apple care being available monthly now I may just buy an unlocked phone and avoid this whole thing.
I have an IUP and a sim free on the way.
Might just cancel the IUP and swap sims.

Reactions: rjp1 and Jumpie

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
Does anybody know if you have to pay the fee when you buy tha sim free version?

From prior experience of you swap the SIM card yourself with the sim free version they don’t charge the upgrade fee. Not sure if it’s still true.

Reactions: penajmz

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
4th year for me on the IUP, first time being hit with the upgrade fee. Likely will be my last year of the IUP if thats the case going forward. Apple originally advertised the plan back with the 6s as a way to avoid carrier fees. Looks like they are walking that back now. Pretty disappointing.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
4th year for me on the IUP, first time being hit with the upgrade fee. Likely will be my last year of the IUP if thats the case going forward. Apple originally advertised the plan back with the 6s as a way to avoid carrier fees. Looks like they are walking that back now. Pretty disappointing.

Yup. Though, if you pay for AppleCare monthly, you are up charged $20 by Apple (vs the $199 upfront price) over the course of a year. So: definite extra $20 at Apple, or $30 bogus fee at carrier that MAY get waived. Hmmmmmm

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
theres always been a fee. I've always Called and complained to return the phone/cancel service and they wave it. nothings new

I’m not so lucky, same deal with my satellite tv, whenever I tried to threaten them of canceling they just told me please write down these steps to turn in your equipment, lol

Reactions: Cigsm and burgman

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth

Not Apples fault if the carrier charges that fee

Reactions: yashz

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Yup, another Verizon customer here with the $30 fee. It’s just another gimmick fee with no real purpose, I mean it’s not like someone has to manually write down the serial number on some piece of paper and snail mail it to headquarters for someone else to update some log.:confused:

Literally to activate a new phone it’s just updating the servers with a new serial number for the phone number it’s assigned to. But oh well, cost of having technology apparently.

Reactions: jtinch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.