30" Cinema Display, 24" Cinema display or iMac 27" - Logic Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jamiee, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Jamiee macrumors newbie

I am thinking of updating my home studio setup which is currently running a Macbook pro 13" 2.26 with 4gb of ram.

I was first thinking of upgrading to an iMac with a 3.06Ghz processor and 27" display. However, I now think I might be ok staying with my MacBook and upgrading to one of the two displays;

- The 30" Cinema display

- Or the 24" Cinema LED display

At nearly half the price I am leaning towards the 24" display. I am using logic and ableton. What does everyone think and anyone had any experiences running logic and or ableton with a MacBook and display.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Your studio sounds like mine :) Also using a 2.26 MBP to power my Logic studio, but I'm soon going to get a Mac Pro with external display for that.

4. Jamiee thread starter macrumors newbie

How's that working for you with the macbook. Is it slow and do you think more ram and/or CPU would be required for an average logic session?

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm running off the low end, completely, non-upgraded 13" MBP and it runs quite well. For Logic however, i get ocassional CPU system overload messages. It usually clears up after a few stops and restarts though. But this is because I run a lot of CPU heavy software instruments (hint: anything Native Instruments!).

So it does depend, specifically how large your average session would be, but more importantly, if you will be using Logic more primarily for software instruments or for Audio Sound Files. If its the latter, I believe the MBP will be more than adequate since you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM.

All that said, for my needs, I still need some more horsepower, which is why I'm waiting for the next Mac Pro update, though I think the new iMacs would scream with Logic too.