30" Cinema Display Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TenFour, Feb 25, 2009.

1. TenFour macrumors member

Hi all,

I was hoping to hear some opinions regarding the 30" ACD. I am likely ordering one this evening, but still have some reservations. I have looked at many products in the past and always return to the Mac, and I suspect I will in this case, too. I need a display for my Mac Pro for 3-D NURBS, CAD work using Rhino and Maxwell. Consistency of contrast and colour from side to side and top to bottom are important, as are resolution, colour accuracy and screen size. One reason for my reservations is that the white on the Apple Cinema Displays seems sort of "dirty". I just returned a Samsung T240 that was only $400 (now $350) that had cleaner and less staticy white, which is a concern when viewing large areas in 3-D space. The Samsung had a terrible viewing angle, though. I am now using a 20" ACD, but find it far too small, and the "dirty" white is something of a concern. Money is not so much of an issue, however, I am still having a difficult time justifying the massive price difference between a 30" ACD and a cheap-o Samsung with a poor viewing angle. Most other displays that are out there cannot be tested in the stores, and they cannot be returned once purchased. Is there anything aside from the ACD 30" that might be worth looking at, or should I pull the trigger on the ACD 30" and feel good about it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

10-4

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

If you have pots of money then go for the high-end EIZO displays. They have a 30" version that will blow your mind and your wallet. Heheh

I got a 30 ACD. 1st one had blue colour shift on left hand side. Got a (new) replacement immediately. Its better now, but the brightness is slightly uneven, ie left side slightly dimmer then right side. Anyway, pondering.. thinking if I replaced it again, I might get a worse one.

LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATES :D

3. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for chiming in. That's a concern, for the money I will not tolerate a defective screen. My 20" is flawless, but it's just too small. Money is not the biggest concern, but I do seek value as well, ie: I'm not looking for a 30" ACD in 24k gold plating, and unless I can drive the Eizo to work, I don't think it will be my first choice.

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

err, what?? u want to drive your EIZO to work? eh

5. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

I should have been more specific. What I meant was, unless the Eizo has wheels and a motor (like a car), my $5000 would be better spent on a used Lexus:D

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh, well,.. thats why i went with the ACD. compared to EIZO prices, the ACD's kinda look quite attractive. heh :p

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP is a way better deal.

8. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

dells don't cut it. They look ugly. They ain't swop compliant. And did I say that dell sucks? Just making sure