30" Cinema Display and iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AviationFan, Aug 31, 2007.

1. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I know the full/optimal resolution of the 30" Cinema Display is not supported by the iMac. But what happens if I connect one anyway? Will I get a lower resolution, either upscaled or shown in a smaller area of the large display?

The reason I ask is I bought a 30" Cinema Display (used, good price, couldn't resist) but am still waiting a little bit before upgrading to a PowerMac, probably until Leopard is out. I am wondering if there is anything I can do with the 30" display until that PowerMac shows up.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

- Martin

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

iMac Won't Drive 30" At All

I think you mean an 8 core Mac Pro since getting a PowerMac would be a major DOWNgrade. iMac drive a 30" at all. Just set it aside until you get the Mac Pro.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Sure an iMac will drive a 30". Just not at full resolution. Go ahead and hook it up and start enjoying, knowing that it will be even better when you attach a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro to it.

4. AviationFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Yes, of course - you are right, I should be used to the new names by now :eek:

Even though I am not convinced the 8 core model is the best bang for the buck. At least not for how I use it. I am mostly looking for more RAM and faster storage than what the iMac can provide. And, of course, a bigger display! :D

- Martin

5. AviationFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Needless to say, I like your answer better. So what will it do? Scale the image up to 30", or show 1920x1200 pixels with bars around it?

Thanks,
    Martin

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Not.

I don't think so.

7. AviationFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Well, it turns out that netdog was technically correct, even though the maximum resolution it'll support for an extended desktop on my iMac appears to be 1280x800 pixels - completely useless for me, I was hoping for 1920x1080, but that wasn't offered by the system. It can mirror the native resolution of the iMac, but that doesn't look too pretty either and certainly doesn't do the beautiful display justice.

Time to get a Mac Pro - come on, Apple, please announce the Mac Pro update that everybody is waiting for...

- Martin

8. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

Using it for most apps will look horrible but watching DVDs look fine, works with my brother's old G4 powerbook. :D