30" Cinema display and PC Video card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cams, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Cams macrumors regular

After getting used to my MacBook C2D, I'm enjoying the switch and had planned an switching path for the two remaining PCs in the household.

Dilemma

My 15" monitor on the family PC had been dying for a few months. I was hoping it would hold out until WWDC as I planned on replacing it with an iMac and wanted to wait and see if a new iMac would be announced.

Note the tense: had been dying. It is now dead.

So, I've had to rethink my switching path. The eventual switch was going replace my main production system with a MacPro, but now we need a monitor for the family PC. I'm still willing to hold out on the iMac purchase, so I'm thinking that, rather than throw money at a cheap monitor in the meantime, I would go for the 30" Cinema Display for the main system and use its current monitor for the family PC. Then wait until June.

So, a quick look at the Cinema displays reveals that I need:

Windows PC and graphics card that supports DVI ports with dual-link digital bandwidth and VESA DDC standard for plug-and-play setup

I have an Aopen PCX6600 DV128 card, whose specs are as follows:

http://usa.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?Auno=1393

Is this enough to power the 30" Apple Cinema Display? Or do I have to upgrade that as well?

Thanks in advance,

Cams, a switcher in mid switch.

2. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

No, you need a DVI-D card (dual link) The card you have is standard, single link DVI.

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

the 30 inch display will work in principle but you will not get the full use out of it as it will be displaying 1900x1200 instead of the full resolution.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

In other words, make sure you get an appropriate video card or you will be paying 800 more dollars than you need to...

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Actually, dual-link 30" panels will only display 1280x800 -- the same as a 13" MacBook -- if they are hooked up to single-link DVI.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hmm, buy a new video card to support your new 30'' monitor.

Oh dear, the processor is lagging. Better get a new CPU.

Now you need more memory to get the best out of your new CPU. Better buy several more GB.

The motherboard doesn't have what you need to support your new hardware. Best buy a new mobo.

The new mobo needs a different power supply. Better buy a new power supply.

The new power supply and 30'' monitor overloads your house wiring. Best rewire your house.

While rewiring your house, you knock two rooms into one, and dig out a new swimming pool.

The filtration for the swimming pool needs more room, and you want to put in a second 30'' monitor. Best to buy the house next door and knock the two together.

When the new enlarged house is completed, your teenage daughter advertises a house party on MySpace. One 30'' monitor is thrown into the swimming pool, the other one has poo nailed onto the screen.

RIP.