30" Cinema Display image registration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by neatomosquito, Feb 13, 2011.

1. neatomosquito macrumors newbie

Good day all,

My 30" Cinema Display, it seems, is sick. This week the power supply overheated and melted the DC connector not only on the supply itself but also on the DC cable attached to the monitor. The contacts on both are fried, burned to a crisp. I had a feeling the monitor itself was still fine - and ordered a replacement back cable (the whole squid looking thing) and replaced it with a very competent apple repair friend.

When powered on, the monitor came to life immediately! Full and even brightness, color looks good, so on and so forth. Except... there seems to be a registration shift of the the image on the screen.

I've attached a picture of the problem. The text is really where you can see the problem. I truly have no idea what the problem is.

Should I keep working on this, or will I forever be chasing problems now that something has gone awry?

Many thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. neatomosquito thread starter macrumors newbie

Any help much appreciated!

Is this a junker now?

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's possible the electronics in the monitor was damaged when the power supply died.

4. neatomosquito thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks xray doc.

I wonder it makes sense to buy a new inverter or power board and hope that takes care of the problem? Not sure if there are finite possibilities for this or if I could be chasing the problem through many repairs.