30" Cinema Display not powering on?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applefan1997, Feb 5, 2012.

1. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Today I picked up a 30" Cinema HD Display and a last revision G5 Quad Core 2.5 (for the low price of free!) and I'm trying to troubleshoot the display. The seller (well, giver) said one day the display just wouldn't power on anymore.

Before dropping a bunch of $$ on a new power adapter, which we think is the culprit, is there anything I should try to do to see if i can get it on again?

Thanks!

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Can you try bringing it to an Apple Store, just to see if one of their power supplies is able to get it started?

I know it's a pain, but I can't see them having any issue with just plugging it in for you.

BTW, where did you come across a free G5? Craigslist? Was the display free too? :confused:

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

Plug it into any other Mac you have handy (some may not drive to max pixels without dual link or display port) to see if it lights up at least.

4. applefan1997 thread starter macrumors 6502

So like an idiot I didn't try plugging it into a computer to check and just hoped the AC power would trigger some sign of life.

Anyways, I took it into the Apple store last night and upon connection to a Macbook it fired up right away. I was excited and a bit embarrassed I hadn't tried it earlier.

Needless to say I now have the whole shebang sitting on my desk, replacing my 20" iMac G4 for daily use.

Yes, the display and G5 were free from craigslist, I was just lucky to be the first to respond! It's a quad 2.5 with 8GB of RAM and the 512MB NVIDIA 4500 card.

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Unbelievable steal! You are damn lucky. I thought I was lucky getting a 30" ACD for $300 from Craigslist.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I hate you all!!!
    I got a fair deal of $800 for a 30" display.

:eek:
    FREE?!?
    $300?!?
    :eek:

Where do you people live?

Ok, i got that out of my system. I don't really hate you. I'm sorry. Still friends?