30" Cinema Display Resolution issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ronsheridan, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ronsheridan macrumors newbie

I have a 27" iMac and a 30" Cinema Display. I took the Cinema Display to an event last week and finally got back and hooked it back up to my iMac. At the event we lowered the resolution and used it on my Mac Laptop.

Prior to yesterday it all worked ok.

NOW the resolution on the Cinema will not show anything higher than 1280 x 800, while my iMac goes all the way up to 2560 x 1440 just as before.

I am using a DVI adapter that matches the gender/pins of the Cinema cable so I am stumped.

A friend had me restart while holding down OPTION,CMD, R&P - but that did not change anything.

I am stumped.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Ron
    San Rafael, CA

Attached Files:

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The full resolution of the 30" ACD is 2560x1600. You're getting exactly half of that, which tells me you're using the MDP>DVI single-link adapter, rather than the correct dual-link adapter which costs a lot more.

Basically, buy the correct one.

If you were getting the full 2560x1600 prior to this, using the same adapter, then something has gone wrong with the adapter and it's only working in single-link mode. Would have been useful to show a picture of the adapter rather than the MDP port and DVI end of the ACD...

3. ronsheridan thread starter macrumors newbie

Same adapter- see updated pics in this reply of both the adapter and the monitor cable (male) end.

Q; do these adapter FAIL?

Q: there is a USB and a Firewire cable coming from the 30" Cinema, are either of them required to be plugged inot the back of the iMac? My understanding is NO.

Thank you peska for taking the time to try to help me!

Attached Files:

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

It looks like you are using the single link mini display port to DVI adapter. In order to use the full resolution of the 30" cinema display, you need to get a mini display port to dual link DVI adapter, which runs about $99 from Apple and $60 from manufacturers like Monoprice.

I am not sure how you were displaying the native resolution of the 30" on that monitor by using only a single link mini DP to DVI cable prior to your trip...

5. ronsheridan thread starter macrumors newbie

BINGO - That's it - I bought one of those when I got the diaplay but I do not know what happened to it.

Also not sure if I had it before I moved my display.

anyhow

Thanks Aboo for helping me figure out what I needed!

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

That's definitely the single link adapter :) Find the one you bought!

7. ronsheridan thread starter macrumors newbie

weirdness

ah yeah... not sure what to feel more stupid about..

not remembering if I had that adapter here before I took my display to the event..

or being too high now to even summon a good memory..

:eek:

8. ronsheridan thread starter macrumors newbie

for what it's worth..

Thank you to those who helped me, and to those who got here after the drama left the room, watch, listen and learn..

"Social Sharing is the new killer app on the internets"

Attached Files: