30" Cinema Display Spring

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rawweb, Jan 26, 2016.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I posted in another forum and got absolute crickets, so thought I would try here since the display was originally made as a companion to the PPC G5.

Sadly, my beloved 30" slouched over and no longer holds tilt. I literally came home one day and it was slouched down. I tore into it and took the spring assembly out of the stand and couldn't find anything wrong to my eye. All I know is, I can't tilt the monitor. I crammed a towel between the display and stand so it can at least be propped up to somewhere usable but it saddens me that this huge beautiful display has gone limp. Any ideas on how to fix this? Haven't found much of any discussion on this with a couple of searches, no part numbers for the spring, nothing. I only found one post on Apple's discussion site and no one offered help there either.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's this.

Seller says in the auction description he has the hinge as well and to ask if you want/need it.

MODS!!! NOT MY AUCTION!!!

3. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

It's a shame the entire stand has to be replaced if it is just the spring. The funny thing is I see no visible damage to either the hinge or spring. It's clearly a spring though as it's lost it's tension.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Why not contact the seller and ask him if he'd be willing just to sell the spring? And if so for how much.

Worth a shot.

5. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Did you buy it?

6. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I did, ironically, I had put in a lower offer a day or two ago before posting this but the seller never responded. Since it seems rare to even find the stand, I decided to just go for it.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Have you considered VESA mounting it? I mounted mine to get it further away from me but it's nice that it has a solid mechanical connection to relieve some stress.

8. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I considered it. I used to have my two 27" ACD's VESA mounted, but I've got a IKEA desk these days and had to scrap the vesa mounts. Plus, the cost to fix the stand is less (assuming this works) then getting into an adapter and new arm.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Mine is attached to the wall

10. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I'm in a room with knee walls, it's a bit strange, but I did once consider that. Plus, as I mentioned, the cost thing. I'd love to, but I'm not sure how much time this 30" and me have left together. It's at 'that certain' age where the power brick will implode or one of the many other reported problems is likely to start happening. Sad, this thing has been with me for a very very long time. And I still boast that it doesn't even have the slightest scratch on it!

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I like mine too and will keep it until I can find a 16:10 4K. I have hope that Dell or someone remembers that 16:10 is the best for computers.