Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mott's

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Hi All,

I've unfortunately been issued a work PC, so I'm wondering if there is a way to take advantage of the real estate (not resolution) of my 30" ACD. The only way I think this will work is by doing the following:

1. Connecting the MiniDisplay cable from the Dual-Link DVI adapter into:

MB571

2. Mini DisplayPort Coupler (Female to Female)

65001.jpg

3.Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

MB572_AV1

Is this a solution or should I prepare myself for failure? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
The 30" requires a dualLink DVI connection, not mini DisplayPort, so forget ALL the adapters you've got there.

Basically all PCs these days have a dualLink DVI port, so no adapter required, it's just plug and play.

Mott's

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
The first adapter is what I use to connect to my MB i7 now (i.e., going from Dual-Link to MiniDisplay). Unfortunately, the PC is a laptop with a VGA port (no Dual-Link DVI). So I guess that offers a second option, which using a Dual-Link DVI female to VGA mail adapter. Would that work?

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
The first adapter is what I use to connect to my MB i7 now (i.e., going from Dual-Link to MiniDisplay). Unfortunately, the PC is a laptop with a VGA port (no Dual-Link DVI). So I guess that offers a second option, which using a Dual-Link DVI female to VGA mail adapter. Would that work?

no, for at least a couple of reasons

i) the mini displayport to VGA adapter is passive, it means that it's designed to hook up vga displays to a mac with mini displayport and nothing else.
ii) VGA resolution is limited to 1920*1200, while the cinema display is 2560*1600

plus, if your video card has only one VGA port, it's probably too old to push so many pixels smoothly. Consider an upgrade.
EDIT: I've just read that you want to connect your laptop, not a desktop. sorry, there no solution in this case. :(

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
The Cinema Display doesn't work with VGA. It requires a digital input, which is either single link DVI (1280x800) or dual link (2560x1600).

There is no way around this but to buy another display or different computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.