30" cinema display update?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Duncanreally, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Duncanreally macrumors member

I've had a 15" MBP and a 30" display combination for over 3 years now. The notebook is getting pretty tired, but I'm holding off replacing it until I see what the Air successor is, as I hate the weight of my 15" (and the new MBP updates aren't terribly exciting). It seems amazing that the monitor hasn't been updated in all this time. It still uses the dual link DVI, so if I wanted a new 30" and macbook combo, I'd have to buy a mini-display port to dual-link DVI adaptor for $100! This is ridiculous.

I don't NEED a bigger or better monitor, but if there was one I'd get it. How come they haven't even updated the connector?!

Any rumours? What I'd like to see would be something a bit bigger (40" has a nice ring to it), and higher resolution, with a glossy glass screen, and updated connectors (and a macbook charger).

Duncan

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

For less than a new Apple 30" you can pick up an iMac with a 27" glass-front LCD and the ability to be used as a monitor (DisplayPort in), not to mention a 3 GHz processor and a terabyte of storage space. Not a bad complement to the new MBP, no?

While I won't rule out Apple finally providing an update to the 30" monitor I certainly do not see a larger screen hitting the market. The 30" monitor has stagnated, not just from Apple but from every dealer. Available models are as or more expensive than two years ago. Only Dual-Link DVI, and more recently DisplayPort, are capable of driving the 2560x1600 resolution. While crazy people like you and I have MacBook Pros and 30" LCDs (I have similar concerns over the DisplayPort adapter having read the terrible reviews of it on the Apple Store) the truth is very few people are buying 30" screens.

Even 24" (1920x1200) monitors have not fallen in price like 23" screens (1920x1080). Eventually televisions will offer 1440p, which is the native resolution of the new 27" iMac (2560x1440) but 16:10 ratio screens are losing the battle. Most companies, including Apple with their newest iMacs, are using 16:9 screens. While larger screens have been built (there's a 108" display from Sharp) they maintain the 1920x1080 television resolution, which is totally useless.

Note that Dell offers an IPS LCD with DVI and DisplayPort along with connectors that don't support the full resolution like HDMI, VGA, S-Video, and Component

3. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 30 inch cinema display is deemed end-of-life in june.

Deduce what you wish.

5. Duncanreally thread starter macrumors member

This is terrible news. I must work differently from everyone else, because I like to have lots of windows open, and I use all the available space. I use Spaces on my 30" because I can't fit everything I want on one desktop! More resolution is always better. I have a 24" iMac as my home computer and the screen just seems horribly small and cramped. I know the 27" iMac is better, but it's still lower res than the 30" display. And anyway, I want ONE computer for work, not a laptop and a desktop.

How sad that we seem to be stepping backwards. I'd rather have double pixels than double the processor speed - it's the pixels you actually have to look at all day!

Duncan

6. Duncanreally thread starter macrumors member

The Dell looks decent, but you'd still need a mini-displayport to displayport adaptor to use it with an Apple laptop.

7. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I feel the same way man!

9. Duncanreally thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but the new 27" is smaller and has lower resolution than the 30" from 5 years ago. How is this something to be happy about?

How about a 3840×2400, on a 40" screen. I mean if you look at how the sensors of digital cameras have increased in the last 5 years, this is a pretty modest request. In fact, it's a bit silly that even the best monitor can't currently display the output of the cheapest digicam, pixel for pixel.

Duncan

10. huffy15 macrumors regular

Can't said that better and those 84" hdtv are exactly the same as a 24" monitor. I dream about a 4K monitors all nights long !