30" cinema display vs 27" LED display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamswirl, Mar 20, 2011.

1. jamswirl macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm considering upgrading/downgrading to a 27" LED from my 30" ACD. apart from the glossy display which I quite like, are there any disadvantages?

I don't find myself using the whole screen vertically much and movies should be just as big (wide and tall) on the 27" as the 30" because of the aspect ratio right?

The other reason I'm looking at doing it is to be able to connect my PS3 to it which i saw the Atlona AT-HD620 will work for.

Is there any advice against doing this? Has anyone switched the 30 for 27? Was it a good move?
    I know it's expensive but hopefully selling the 30" will cover a lot of the cost, plus it'll save some space.

Cheers.

2. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Hi,

Unless you want to live with seeing yourself and reflection in the glare screen of the 27 inch led display, then yes.. its a great move. The 30 inch is the LAST of the non-glare, matte finish displays and is currently fetching between 800- and more simply because its very popular..

I personally don't like the glare in the 24 inch led cinema display, but at the moment I don't have the money to go out and get on ebay a 30 inch matte finish display.

the other drawback: THE 27 inch LED display uses Mini-display port, while the 30 inch is DVI. You would need a device which can convert mini-display to dvi and those adapters are not cheap.

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yes the 27 inchers are indeed newer and do have the LED backlight.

However, the 30 inch ACDs are bigger and offer more screen estate.

And no, they are not the same aspect ratio. The 27 is a 16:9 and the 30 is a 8:5 display.

So the 30 incher will be a bit taller.

Cons:
    -Smaller
    -Smaller Screen Estate
    -Only 16:9 vs 8:5
    -Requires expensive adapters.

Pros:
    -Newer Tech
    -LED Backlight
    -Glossy

4. Ashok0 macrumors regular

The 30" has a VERY, VERY, VERY aggressive AG coating and has massive "sparkle" effect.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well this is total crap. I'm looking at my 27" LED and I don't see myself in it at all. Never do actually, and it's right next to a window....

6. jamswirl thread starter macrumors regular

okay, this is just checking, but with watching a film (widescreen), it won't look much smaller because they don't fill up the screen vertically?

I'm only losing 160 pixels vertically by doing switching these monitors. Or does it really feel that much smaller? I'll go into a store and check it out again.

the product I'm looking at for playing PS3 is:
    http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-TO-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-SCALER-AND-SWITCHER.html

I know it's expensive but space is a concern and it'd be easier having it just on the monitor, if it worked on the 30", I probably wouldn't bother with a 27".

I've looked at other monitors but am just a big fan of the design of the Apple ones.

Thanks for the advice.

7. jamswirl thread starter macrumors regular

No way! I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. I see what you mean.

8. jamswirl thread starter macrumors regular

Do you travel with your screen? :p
    Cheers for that, my flatmates have glossy dell and LG screens and they don't have really any problems with reflection.
    But seriously, are you actually in the business of making film? Cool!
    That's where I'm hoping to head when I finally finish Uni in a million years time.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Ummm. There are simple HDMI to DVI cables. The only thing you lose is audio when using a $5 HDMI to DVI cable. Sooooo, can't you just hook a PS3 to a 30" Apple Cinema Display already?

10. jamswirl thread starter macrumors regular

from what I've read and been advised, you can't. It's got something to do with the Display rejecting the signal because it's a different kind coming through than what it can make sense of or something.