30" Cinema Display vs. 30" Dell Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mike1mike2mike3, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mike1mike2mike3 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both of these. The Dell 3008WCS model seems quite comparable to the Apple display. Any strong argument for paying the premium for the Apple one?

I mainly want the real estate and resolution for large spreadsheets, working with multiple documents simultaneously, etc. I'll do a touch of video editing, but nothing to justify the extravagance.

I have a MBP (latest model) and a bunch of Dell T3500 workstations.

Something tells me this topic must have been covered. Apologies if I'm not searching for the right terms, and a reference to another thread would be most welcome.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

30" ACD is horribly old and overpriced. If you're okay buying a non-Apple monitor, don't even look at Apple's. You would also have to buy MDP to dual-link DVI which costs another 100$

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Anymore, looks are about the only thing the 30" ACD has going for it.

The Dell is a better value - it has more video inputs, more flexible color controls and it uses an IPS panel just like the ACD. As mentioned before, with the ACD, you'll need to buy the $100 adapter to use it with your MBP (DVI output only), whereas the Dell already has DisplayPort you can connect to with a $5 adapter.

4. mike1mike2mike3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

Thanks, that's great. I ordered the Dell...

5. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I have a Dell 3008WFP and it is what I would classify as "boner-inducing." I'd say it's worth buying over the ACD for the perfect pixel guarantee alone.