30" Cinema Display won't light up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sean4000, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Sean4000 macrumors member

Sean4000

Hey guys,

I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display that won't light up. The panel is detected properly by the OS but will not display an image.

I was manufactured in January of 2008 and is out of warranty.

As far as what I've done, I have opened the panel and changed all caps on the inverter board. Nothing.

I'm in the process of changing the caps on the main board.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Did you try unplugging the USB and FireWire connectors from your computer, leaving just the video connector hooked up?

3. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

I have run the monitor with and without the USB/fire wire cables plugged it. I have no image on the panel.

Should I be seeing an image on screen when the LCD is powered on but not plugged into a computer? Is DVD-D THAT important to the monitor even lighting up?

Would anybody be able to give me the pin out specs on the 14pin cable running from the mainboard to the inverter board?

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I no longer have the monitor, but as I recall, there is no activity on the monitor without a video signal, not even the power LED lights up.

Mine on a couple of occasions refused to display an image when the USB or FireWire cables were simply plugged in ... unplugging them instantly restored the image. Resetting all the power related items resolved this strange issue (I even tried a new power supply with no change ... it was a fluke that I discovered it worked when the I/O cables were unplugged).

5. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

I have changed out all of the capacitors on the main board and inverter board.

So far I'm wondering if the inverter board is being driven by the main board at all. That's why I need the pin out voltages of the 14 pin cable running between those two devices. (416A Y8Z)

I have it plugged into my turbo workstation that has dual DVD-D connectors. The resolution is correct and the monitor settings can be changed and configured but the screen is completely black.

6. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

If anyone has a working 30" Cinema Display can you please tell me what is on screen when you power it off, unplug everything but power, and then turn it back on? I'm trying to see if there is a "no signal" message or any other indication that the monitor is working.

7. John Kotches, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

John Kotches macrumors 6502

You have eliminated the computer as the issue already, right?

8. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

Hey, yes I have. This darn panel just won't light up. The computer detects it and I can adjust settings but the panel is completely black.

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Can you see any image on it if you shine a bright flashlight on it in an area you would expect to have image? Perhaps the backlight power supply is not working to power up the fluorescent light tubes, causing no image to be seen even though the display panel is working normally.

10. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

There is no image on the screen at all. I shines a high powered light on the TFT and still nothing. I'm wondering which of the three circuit boards is at fault. I've changed all capacitors on every board so it's ready for electrical flow but i suppose it's another piece. I'm still looking for the pin out of the cable between the main board and inverter board. That way I can meter the ends to see just what is coming across.

11. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

I have purchased another cinema display with a busted screen off ebay. When it comes in I'm going to swap parts and hopefully that will solve the issue. The new panel is fully functioning except for the enormous crack in the front. Can't wait to see which part is the problematic one.

Hopefully this ordeal helps anyone else in a similar situation.

12. flippyorhambone macrumors newbie

leave usb/firewire from monitor disconnected?

FWIW - I was having the same problem and I think I found a workable solution. Not sure if it is random and/or whether it will continue to work....

Gear:
    30" LCD Cinema display with 150w power adapter (Connector coming out of display as USB, firewire, DVI, and power to connect to power brick.)

Macbook Air (1.8 ghz i5), most recent version available I believe

Display works when:

- mini-dvi and USB are connected to Macbook Air inputs
    - power and DVI are connected AND display's Firewire/USB connectors are left DISCONNECTED

13. thegr8john macrumors newbie

30" ACD with Power, working USB and FW, but no video

Hello,

I have the same display and I cannot get video on my screen even though my Mac Pro is recognizing the display - Apple store checked it and says it'll cost me $500+ to get it fix stating that it's the LCD.... I don't believe it.

Has anyone found the issue and solution by any chance? Thank you!

----------

Hi Sean... I have the same display with the same issue: powers on, ports work fine, Mac Pro recognizes the display, but no video.

were you able to swap parts and figure out what is wrong?

14. Sean4000 thread starter macrumors member

Sean4000

Yes I did fix the monitor. It was the control board all along. Keep in mind I also changed the capacitors on the inverter board for good measure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-30-Ci...Monitor_Replacement_Parts&hash=item3f278268c3

Sorry for the delay, the site didn't let me know I was quoted.