30" cinema to 27" iMac - considered an upgrade, or a downgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CXsjr, Mar 2, 2010.

1. CXsjr macrumors regular

CXsjr

OK, here's my dilemma, I want a fast, up to date, futureproof system with a nice big display. I currently use a G5 quad with a 30" :apple: cinema, primarily for photoshop as I'm a keen amateur photographer.

I have been around and around in circles in my head for the last week, thinking of pro's and con's of either upgrading my G5 to a Mac Pro 2.93GHz, and keeping my 30" monitor, or buying and 27" iMac i7 to replace the whole lot. Specification wise, both will more than adequately fulfill my needs.

It's really ALL down to aesthetics now, I just cannot decide if I prefer the matt 30" monitor which looks so sleek, or whether I like the shiny 27" screen of the iMac .... it's driving me nuts and I just can't decide! Plus, I can't work out whether an iMac would be an upgrade or downgrade, purely in terms of the screen?

Can I get some opinion here on what you guys think please, particularly bearing in mind my primary use for photo editing?

PS: I already took delivery of an iMac but it went back with screen issues and this is what started me thinking about the other options ....

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Get a mini for your 30". I did. Get the 2.53ghz through refurb.

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I am a graphic design student and I bought a 27" iMac a month ago because my Macbook Pro died. I got a refund after a week because the screen had the yellow tinge issue, but to be honest, I am glad the iMac is gone. That screen is horrible for photo editing and graphic design. I'd say it's definitely a downgrade from the 30" ACD (which I use at uni), at least for this kind of use.

If I were you, I'd keep the 30" ACD until Apple decides to finally finallllyyyy upgrade the pro line of their displays.
    Personally, I'll be buying the new MacBook Pro when it comes out (15" or 17" with highest-end Core i5 or Core i7 if possible) and then add a 30" ACD.

4. CXsjr thread starter macrumors regular

CXsjr

I've actually got a Mac mini 2.53ghz which we use as a media centre in the living room, I suppose I could move that across for a few days and see how it performs, but to be honest, it's not much faster than my G5.

I've tried the iMac i7 in the store (the one I had delivered was so bad, I didn't even get past registration, not to mention the fact the base was scratched too) and also the Mac Pro, both were way faster than the mini and that's what I'm after utlimately.

To be honest, it's a choice between the iMac and keeping my 30" with a new 'box'.

Thank you for that, it's good the hear from someone with a lttle experience of both, and it's certainly helped me part way towards my decision :)