Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one is better?

• 30" Dell LCD Display

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • 30" Apple Cinema Display

Votes: 93 60.8%

• Total voters

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
notjustjay said:
... Dell seems to be a big enough company that they can take hits like that, and I think their goal is to saturate the market as much as possible with their stuff, regardless of quality issues.

That said, I own a 20" Dell display and I think it's great -- about the ONLY thing I can fault it for is its appearance, as it's not nearly as sleek as the Apple display would have been. But, it was half the price...

Bingo - If Dell achieves enough volume they are profitable despite the big discounts and higher than average number of returns. That's how Dell has become so successful.

I did the same thing as you - I really liked the Apple displays but at double the price the Apple was simply out of reach pricewise. I'm happy with my 2005FPW, though I admit if money was less of an issue I probably would have bought the Apple.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Cadkiller said:
How much is the edge distance from the screen to outside of the casing?
I just measured our Apple 30" here in my office and the space between the edge of the screen and the edge of the monitor itself is 7/8".

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Stampyhead said:
I just measured our Apple 30" here in my office and the space between the edge of the screen and the edge of the monitor itself is 7/8".

Anyone can give me measurements of the Dell 30"? Thanks

ethen

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
ACD looks so good on my desk, i cant even concentrate on my work lol
but yeah, dell have a nicer price tag compare to acd (around 300 bucks difference in msrp but around 700 bucks difference if you use dell coupons)

however, if i have deeper pocket, i would defintely get ACD. Dell have a lot of bleeding top corner and bottom corners on its LCD, my 20 and 24 arrived with that issues

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
If you need the extra ports, I would get the dell but if you really don't need them, I would buy the 30" apple display.

Also, I was in shock when cnet said the apple display won because they always let dell products win or say they are the best.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Eidorian said:
The 3007FPW Dell LCD doesn't have the connector options of the 2405FPW or the 2005FPW.

The 3007FPW ONLY has DVI in for video.
And that is bad because I sometimes like to hook my xbox or ps2 up to my 2005fpw.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
The big Dell 24" is to be updated soon.

Shame the 30" loses the other connecters, composite won't be missed but Component, S Video and VGA give it huge connectivity.

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Dell is selling their 30" LCD for $1,200 if you buy one of their workstations.
I also know that Samsung has now introduced a 30" LCD.
That's $800 less than the Cinema display.
When will Apple lower their price to be able to compete?

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
$1,274.15 For the Dell now in the USA ... I don't think that leaves much to the discussion until Apple drops prices, since for many of us money is an important matter on this..

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I hope they drop them soon because $700 would make me favor buying a Dell. I like the aluminum look that the Apple has; but is it worth $700 more?

moogs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I just bought the Dell and I'm loving it. I think it looks awesome too. I don't see why people are complaining about how it looks. I just couldn't justify spending $6-700 more just so the monitor matches my Mac Pro. For an extra $63, I also bumped the 3 year warranty to a 5 year. It's really tough to beat imo.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
If you try and ignore the silver and pretend its all black, turn the scren on its side and start huming a certain piece of classical movie its almost the Monolith.

:p

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
To understand my choice of Apple Cinema Display, you should use the same reasoning I do. Think of the monitor like a woman.

In my case, I'd rather sit staring at Mischa Barton all day than Michael Moore...
(please see below for comparison)

mischa_barton_smoke_2_small.jpg
_38262768_michael_moore150ap.jpg

:rolleyes:

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
This was well said by CNET review.
Apple's 30-inch LCD was about 1-2 year ahead of Dell's product (Apple started production in 2003 while Dell started last year.
Both products use the same LCD panel but different circuit design. Of course Apple has the best group of hardware and firmware engineers (these people are doing stuff more than just put every parts together) among the computer companies.
The secret of Taiwan OEM manufactures:
Dell is always using parts which can't pass the QC control set by Apple, IBM, Fujisu etc to cut cost. These parts has potential (just potential) to fail under long term usage. Unfortunately ram, hard drive, LCD parts are among those lists.
Dell's LCD give you a 3-year warranty, why? Because they last bare beyond that period. Apple only gives 1-year warranty, why? Apple's LCD for sure lasts beyond 5 year.
For lots of Dell LCD owners, you want to know how bad your LCD panels are?
Turn off every light during night, switch your Dell monitor to a black background, and... Have fun and see virtually every Dell monitor has a dirty face with different uneven backlight all over the screen!!!!
This comment about the warrenties makes no sense. If a company guarantees a product is quality, they will give it a long warrenty because they know in most cases it will last that long, with little chance of needing repair. If a sort warrenty is given, it says that they think the product may not last too long, and you are on your own after that. Truthfully, and i love apple, most people's complaints with them have to do with hardware problems and failures. Dell problems, as i hear them, arre simply related to performance(the price reflects the performance you will get, very cheap). Does it say something that Apple's Two new Laptop releases this year have come with MAJOR hardware related problems? What happens when the warrenties end? many will be out of luck with the amout of problems people are having.O Ya, BTW, i ahd to have 3 macbooks replaced before i got a good working one, and i may have to have another replaced because the screen is becoming very misaligned.

macanddell

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
How can i get 2560 by 1600 resolution on my Dell 3007WFP

Dell is selling their 30" LCD for $1,200 if you buy one of their workstations.
I also know that Samsung has now introduced a 30" LCD.
That's $800 less than the Cinema display.
When will Apple lower their price to be able to compete?

I am using the Dell 3007WFP with my newly-purchased Mac Pro (nice machine!) BUT the resolution is only 1280 by 1024. Do I need to buy a new graphics card?

Thank you..

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
??

Seems very wrong, my old Radeon 8500 work fine with the max res at 1920*1200 and that was with an oldish driver release.

If your connected via DVI then the monitor sends control signals down the cable to sell the computer what resolutions it can do.

Your Mac Pro can very easily display the max res for your monitor,

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
I agree, look at Eizo, they have a 5 year warranty on their displays. They may cost a little more, but your getting a 5 year warranty, no need for AppleCare or extended warranty programs. They qualify the warranty as usage capped at 30,000 hours but that would mean leaving your display on for 3.42 years straight with never turning it off.

This comment about the warranties makes no sense. If a company guarantees a product is quality, they will give it a long warranty because they know in most cases it will last that long, with little chance of needing repair. If a sort warranty is given, it says that they think the product may not last too long, and you are on your own after that. Truthfully, and i love apple, most people's complaints with them have to do with hardware problems and failures. Dell problems, as i hear them, arre simply related to performance(the price reflects the performance you will get, very cheap). Does it say something that Apple's Two new Laptop releases this year have come with MAJOR hardware related problems? What happens when the warranties end? many will be out of luck with the amount of problems people are having.O Ya, BTW, i ahd to have 3 macbooks replaced before i got a good working one, and i may have to have another replaced because the screen is becoming very misaligned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.