30" display Bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emt8q5, Jul 23, 2008.

1. emt8q5 macrumors member

Hey folks,

I'd like to preface this by
    apologizing if my terminology is off, my knowledge is a little sparse when it comes to displays and image rendering.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the HP LP3065 30" display (http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2950). I have a question regarding it's lack of built in video processor and subsequent inability to scale (am I using correct terminology?) resolutions lower than it's native resolution of 2560 x 1600.

I am planning on running this display off of my Penryn 2.4ghz Macbook Pro. I don't anticipate having any problems running Leopard as I will be doing so in the monitor's native resolution. My question is what about Bootcamp? I don't use my windows partition much, but when I do, I will occasionally play some games (Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2142, TF2, etc...). On my current setup (external 22" display running at 1680x1050) I run these games at lower resolutions (1280x1024 maybe?) to increase performance and decrease heat on the GPU. Will I still be able to run these games at lower resolutions on the HP 30" even though it says it has no support for resolutions other than 2560 x 1600?

Thanks!
    Eric

2. DougT macrumors newbie

Computer monitors never have built in video processors. The video processing is done on the actual computer, usually on a separate video card connected to the computer's motherboard. You can run any resolution lower than 2560 x 1600 if you so choose, without problem. It doesn't say that the only resolution it supports is 2560 x 1600--that's just the largest it can use. You'll be able to play your games just fine on lower resolutions.