30" fame rates...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Grady, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Grady macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new monitor, and am seriously tempted by the 30" ACD. While gaming is not the primary use for my new machine (2.26 octo with the 4870 card and plenty of RAM), I do play a variety of games, and am concerned about frame rates with that screen's huge resolution.

At the moment, my primary game is WoW (which I know is not too demanding), but I am looking forward to adding some of the current PC shooters via Boot Camp (I am upgrading from a pre-Intel Mac.)

Does anyone have any experience with gaming on that monitor that would be useful for estimating performance given my new MP? I'd prefer not to have to run games at lower than the screen's natural resolution if at all possible.

To complicate matters, the machine will be used for photo work, so I have eliminated the 24" LED due to concerns over color accuracy & consistency (not to mention the glossy screen.) If I want to go smaller than the 30", I am looking at non-Apple options.

Thanks for any help.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You will be driving a lot of pixels and the 4870 is not that much of a powerful card. For WoW you could run it at full resolution, but don't expect a lot of eye candy. Other games, will also choke if you turn on eye candy.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Haven't had any problems with frame rates with my 30" ACD and ATI 2600 card. I believe the 4870 will do even better. Granted i don't play games that often but occasionally i fire up Age of Empires or WoW and i always play at max settings. Gotta make use of all those pixels :p