$30 for one lightning to 30 pin adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 2macORnot2mac, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

The adapter is perfect for people with in car audio systems not capable of using bluetooth. My old car had a 30-pin that ran out of the glove box that this adapter would be useful for. It's not for everyone, but not everyone will buy it. If you think it's a waste then you probably weren't their intended audience.

2. 2macORnot2mac thread starter macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

oh, ok...my bad.

3. tarjan macrumors regular

I'm not so sure about that for your car systems. The adapter does not seem to support "ipod out." Some cars seemingly won't work any more, but others may, though exactly what that means is unclear to me.

4. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

My conclusion from what I've gathered:

- There is NO support for iPod via the 30-Pin adapter. So, this means that cars that connect to your iDevice using a 30-Pin connector only (no USB port) will NOT have iPod functionality with an iDevice that uses the Lightning connector.

- If you currently connect your iDevice via 30-Pin cable to a USB port, then your car will most likely retain iPod functionality with an iDevice that uses the Lightning connector.

----------

You would only be able to charge your phone via the adapter, no iPod support.

5. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

The only cars that use "ipod out" and therefore won't work are BMWs and Minis made after 2010. Everything else should work with either the new cable (if the phone has a USB port) or the new adapter.

----------

There is iPod support, there's just not "iPod out" support. iPod out is only used by 2010 or later BMWs or Minis. All other cars and speaker docks should work just fine.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

the knockoffs will come out shortly. I bet you will see them on monoprice and ebay etc, soon probably $10 then $5

7. jeblis macrumors regular

It needs to convert digital to analog so it's not just passing through the signals.

8. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'll have to have one for my radio/alarm but just an extra USB for the car. Those will be cheap on ebay soon I bet.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are likely other things as well. I know of an aftermarket iPod interface for Lexus vehicles that uses it.

10. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

The official Apple lightening adaptor has a DAC built in, sorry it's actually quite reasonably priced.

I do agree it's still a bit annoying that we HAVE to buy one though.

If the cheap Chinese ones, which I have no doubt will apear soon, are to work the same way (with a DAC) you can expect the sound quality to be terrible. That said, we still have not heard the Apple one yet.