30 FPS vs 60 FPS Video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rizzm, Sep 20, 2014.

?

Which video recording setting will you choose?

1. 30 FPS

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 60 FPS

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Both?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I was wondering which setting people will be opting for, or perhaps both for different scenarios that would benefit from either one. I'm not sure if such scenarios exist but I included the option in case I'm just unaware of them. Please also explain why you chose that option.

I noticed that the 30 FPS has significant motion blur, but the 60 FPS has that weird soap opera effect that I've always hated on newer TVs. Though, the lack of blur and the clarity of 60 FPS is nice. I assume that 60 FPS videos will use up twice the storage, but I haven't tested this.

The setting can be found in Settings > Photos & Camera

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I don't think 60 FPS would be double because of compression, but it will take up more space, probably about 1.6x or so. You have double the frames, but they are closer together in time so they will likely look similar allowing compression to work better.

I do a little video work on the side, 30 FPS is what you want for nearly everything (24 would be better for a more filmic look, but we don't have that option.) 60FPS is typically better for action, and later on gives you the option of doing slow motion later on in post without having to generate frames.

Really it is personal preference, but given movies and tv are shot in 24 and 30 FPS respectively (For the most part) they are what look "normal" to us.

3. Rizzm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm. Good to know! Thanks for the insight.

I guess I'll stick with 30 FPS for now then. It's weird that the 60 FPS seems so much more clear, yet still looks odd since it's not what we're used to seeing.