30 inch inch cinema display problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by franloutwo, Nov 19, 2010.

1. franloutwo macrumors newbie

From time to time my display will go off even though the computer is still running correctly. To get the display on again I simply pull out the plug and reinsert it. I have replaced the power strip but the problem persists. The display is connected to a PC with a Nvidia GTX 470 video card just puchased. The computer itself was puchased in July 2007 from Falcon Northwest (Model Mach V). I have been using the Cinema display since the PC was puchased but this problem is only about one year old. The issue ocurred with the video card that came with the computer and this year became defective. I thought the problem might be with the cinema display transformer but have not yet replaced it.

Can someone help me with this problem, would be greatly appreciated.

2. robotrootbeer macrumors member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your cinema display is going to be end of life soon.

This happened to me and I had 2 ACD's so I could swap bricks so I knew it wasn't the brick.

In the end there was an option to pay apple, but I think the sum was rather large.

3. Fgirl macrumors member

I have a bunch of these displays, every one of them does the same thing to one degree or another. At first I use to haul the entire thing down to the apple store and they'd send it back to me in a couple days with a new power brick, which would only solve the problem for a couple months. The fix I use now is to kill the power to the brick for a few seconds, then the flickering or whatever stops, sometimes for as much a couple weeks. For some i use one of those automatic light timers to power it down at 2am for a few minutes, and the problem never manifests itself. For others I have the power brick set on the monitor stand and I just reach up and yank the power cord out of the brick when I need to. Other than that, they're great displays, who cares if they've been discontinued, they were available for like a million years before they finally got 'replaced' by a 27" display, which are very nice too. I've had no problems with any of the 27" that I have, except that damn glossy screen.