30 inch Monitor & Cables

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tali, May 24, 2010.

1. Tali macrumors member

Hi,

I need some more screen real estate at home and I'm currently looking into 30' displays. LED Displays strain my eyes quite a bit and I tend to get a headache after some time, so I'm thinking about buying an "old" ACD before they update it (to possible 27' LED). I might also go with a Dell, that's not the real issue here.

My MP will go fine with it, but I sometimes work from my MBP (now 2010 version) and sometimes on my girlfriends mini. Now the MBP has a different MiniDisplay port than the MBP. I can't get my head around which cables to buy. I still have an older 20' monitor sitting around, but I'd like to throw it out when I get the new one, so having the cables would be a nice backup, just in case I need to connect one of the two machines to the display.

Do I need 2 Dual Link DVI cables - 1 for the MBP and 1 for the mini - as they have different mini display ports or are there any adapters or does one fit both?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If they both have Mini DisplayPorts, then you only need one. Mini-DVI can't even drive the 30" with native res

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

The MBP should have a mini displayport and the mac mini, depending on which model, should have a single link dvi (Pre-2009) or a mini displayport AND mini DVI (post-2009).

If you have a pre-2009 mac mini, you won't be able to drive the 30" display, but if you have a post 2009 mac mini, you can, by using the mini displayport.

So assuming you have a post 2009 mac mini, 2010 MBP and a 2008 Mac Pro, you should get a Dell 30". The Dell has every input port you would need. For the Mac Mini and MBP, you can use a mini displayport to displayport cable and for the Mac Pro, you can use a dual link dvi cable.

4. Tali thread starter macrumors member

It's a 2009 mini so that should work. Thanks for the help, going to order the Dell tomorrow.